Q. What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation?

I have good health with occasional atrial fibrillation. Last night, I had a flare up of atrial fibrillation and my resting heart rate was 130 beats per minute which happened a few hours ago. My normal resting heart rate is 70 beats per minute. I am taking Magnesium and Potassium.

#

Atrial fibrillation occurring in this age group needs evaluation like an echocardiogram, cardiac stress test, coronary angiography to rule out coronary artery disease. Next, I guess you do not have any other diseases like diabetes, hypertension, or stroke. If not, then you do not have to take blood thinners. Usually, atrial fibrillation is not a life-threatening disease, but it can cause troubles.

Regarding management, you should be treated with beta blockers like Metoprolol to keep your heart rate under control. Alternatively, you can take tablet Flecainide, whenever your atrial fibrillation recurs, as a pocket pill.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|