Q. What are the possible consequences of a fetus without heartbeat?

Published on Sep 23, 2017

My wife is now 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant. She started to bleed three days back and felt little cramps. We had our first early trimester scan and they said that they are unable to detect fetus heartbeat. They arranged for another scan in some 15 days. She is taking Pregnacare Folic acid. Our questions are, whether the fetus has grown in previous cases after 8 weeks? What are the possible consequences for the fetus without a heartbeat? Can we still stay with hope? Should we take it as miscarriage if they could not see heartbeat in the next scan? Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If she is 8 weeks and 5 days gestation as of today and still there has been no heartbeat or a fetal pole, then it is likely to be an anembryonic gestation or a chemical pregnancy with just the gestational sac.

If the fetal pole and the heartbeat have not arrived till now, then it is unlikely that it would arrive.

The bleeding is a sign of natural miscarriage being underway and she shall miscarry naturally by the next scan.

However, you have not attached the scan reports, which would give a definite idea of the situation. Please attach the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for the detailed response and answer to our query. In my region, scan reports are not given to us. Are there cases where heartbeat has come to live after 8 weeks? Would there be a medical possibility to save the fetus with the current situation? Please advise.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The period of gestation is calculated from the day of last menstrual period. It is important to learn whether there was a fetal pole arrival by now inside the gestational sac or not.

Ideally, if the fetal pole arrives, then the CRL measurement (crown lump length) is being taken ultrasonologically to estimate the gestation, else the gestational sac is being used under Hadlock formula.

If in spite of the fetal pole, there has been no arrival of fetal heartbeat or there has been no arrival of even fetal pole by 9 weeks, then it would not arrive and it would be termed as failed pregnancy.

It would be the best to opt for a dilation and curettage in that case.

This is purely natural decision and has no bearing on future conceptions at all. The cause is usually idiopathic and one cannot be really sure in such early gestation when it has been the first pregnancy.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

We will wait for the next scan and review the results. If we are allowed we shall post you the results. Till then we will hope for the best with prayers. Thank you again.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I certainly wish you the best and shall be waiting for the reports.
  • In the meantime, please keep a watch over the bleeding and any repeat spotting or flow of blood should be reported. Take care.

My wife had severe cramps and stomach pain. She started to bleed heavily and big blood clots also seen. We went to the hospital, the doctor did smear scan and cleaned the uterus. While doing it, the doctor said that the fetus tissue was also cleaned as it was with clots. We went for a scan and they confirmed it as a miscarriage. Thank you for your help and support.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I am indeed sorry for your loss, but guess you acted rightly when the bleeding started with the clots. It turned to an inevitable miscarriage.
  • Complete suction and evacuation was the right thing having done by the doctor with complete removal of products of conception.

Why did I bleed after intercourse during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 13 weeks pregnant, and after having intercourse I passed a blood clot about the size of a quarter. I have a subchronic bleed behind my placenta. Are these two related?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Yes, they are related. Intercourse should ideally be avoided till the 18th week of gestation to avoid such episodes of threatened miscarriage. Any bleeding during pregnancy is threatened miscarriage unless proven otherwise and you have a sub-chorionic bleed which confirm...  Read Full

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I co...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? From your history, the only problem I feel is the problem which could happen to the tube. Your history of having a tubal pregnancy and severe pain during sex, that is dyspareunia, means that there is some problem which is happening around the uterus ...  Read Full

What are the possible types of miscarriage during initial days of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,What type of miscarriage is possible during the first six weeks? What are the expected symptoms?  Read Full >>

Dr. Monica Mathur

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. During the first six weeks of pregnancy, if one bleed with cramps then it may be due to threatened miscarriage whereby one should seek immediate medical consultation. This stage can be reverted to normal pregnancy. If one experience some tissue along with clot of blood...  Read Full