Q. What is failing pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

I had some symptoms like heaviness in stomach, frequent urination, breast tenderness and morning sickness. Last week when I took hCG blood test it was 11.34. My doctor advised me to repeat a test on couple of days and it was 9.26. I used to travel many hours to office. This week I did not have any symptoms. But, still I did not get my periods. What would be the reason for this? Before a year I had periods continuously for 24 days. So, I took Yamini tablet for three months. Same time, I had a scan as well and that was normal.

#

• The test result shows that you are pregnant.
  • Any level of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) more than 5 ng/dL indicates pregnancy.
  • But, the follow up hCG levels are decreasing, so this must be a failing pregnancy.
  • Please get an urgent ultrasound transvaginally to check for intrauterine pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What is meant by failing pregnancy? Is it good or bad to my health? What is meant by intrauterine pregnancy? Am I facing any health issues? What are the steps to be taken to overcome this?

#

• You are pregnant as evident by the hCG levels. The levels of hCG should increase with pregnancy developing further.
  • In your case, hCG levels are decreasing and hence can be a chemical pregnancy or failed pregnancy.
  • Intrauterine pregnancy is inside the uterus and ectopic is outside the uterus.
  • You need to get an ultrasound pelvis to confirm the pregnancy first.

|