Q. I am hearing my breathing sound when I exhale hard. Is it normal?

Published on Feb 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I have a small question about exhaling breath sounds. I always listen to my body and make sure everything is as it should. I have mild ETD, which makes my nose a little stuffy when in dry environments or the humidity is low.

Two weeks ago, I was to hiatal hernia surgery. They did check my lungs and did not say anything. But, I notice that if I listen to my breathing when I forcefully exhale there is a little sound.

I am not sure if it is squeezing or whistling. I cannot hear it if I breathe normally in and out. It also depends on my head elevation, either up or down. Should exhale air sound like air coming out? Will it change on the head position?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

When you listen silently, you can hear the exhalation sound, and that is absolutely normal.

A few people have that sound in excess, and that can happen due to nasal polyps, obesity, and breathing disorders. So, if you have any of the above, then it is a concern.

Otherwise, generally while in silence everyone hears their own breathing sound.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

When you say exhalation sound, is that noise behind the air is coming out? If someone has wheezing, then the strange exhaling sound heard while breathing normally or when breathing rapidly and hard? I can only hear this sound when I am talking hard breath with the open mouth.

#

Yes, that is the normal exhaling sound. When it is loud, and everyone can hear it coming out from your lungs, it is called as wheezing.

In people who have wheezing, due to any abnormality, they have sounded more than normal breathing, one can appreciate. In fact, it is like if you have heard people with asthma.

If you want to know the actual thing, then ask your colleagues or your family members that do they notice any labored breathing out of you? If you do it really, then people must have noticed. This will give you a clear idea.

| 

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full »

Why is there frequent wheezing without any known allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has a wheezing problem right from one and a half years. A year back the doctor prescribed Foracort 100. I administered Foracort 1 puff daily for one year. Now, I have stopped it as adviced by the doctor. Still, he gets wheezing minimum one time a month and a maximum ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a raspy voice from childhood?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my voice. As a kid, I had a raspy voice the entire time until puberty. After I hit puberty, I do not think my parents noticed anything, but people have said I sound like Kermit the frog or that I need to stop mumbling. The problem I have is that I have to try qu...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now