Q. I am hearing my breathing sound when I exhale hard. Is it normal?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I have a small question about exhaling breath sounds. I always listen to my body and make sure everything is as it should. I have mild ETD, which makes my nose a little stuffy when in dry environments or the humidity is low.

Two weeks ago, I was to hiatal hernia surgery. They did check my lungs and did not say anything. But, I notice that if I listen to my breathing when I forcefully exhale there is a little sound.

I am not sure if it is squeezing or whistling. I cannot hear it if I breathe normally in and out. It also depends on my head elevation, either up or down. Should exhale air sound like air coming out? Will it change on the head position?

#

We are here to help you.

When you listen silently, you can hear the exhalation sound, and that is absolutely normal.

A few people have that sound in excess, and that can happen due to nasal polyps, obesity, and breathing disorders. So, if you have any of the above, then it is a concern.

Otherwise, generally while in silence everyone hears their own breathing sound.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

When you say exhalation sound, is that noise behind the air is coming out? If someone has wheezing, then the strange exhaling sound heard while breathing normally or when breathing rapidly and hard? I can only hear this sound when I am talking hard breath with the open mouth.

#

Yes, that is the normal exhaling sound. When it is loud, and everyone can hear it coming out from your lungs, it is called as wheezing.

In people who have wheezing, due to any abnormality, they have sounded more than normal breathing, one can appreciate. In fact, it is like if you have heard people with asthma.

If you want to know the actual thing, then ask your colleagues or your family members that do they notice any labored breathing out of you? If you do it really, then people must have noticed. This will give you a clear idea.

|