Q. Suddenly, I start feeling dizziness, pressure in the chest, and weakness. Why?

Published on Mar 06, 2018

I am 33. Sometimes, out of nowhere, I start feeling dizzy, pressure in the chest with heavy breathing and weak legs and hands. Sometimes, I have headaches. No arm or chest pain. It was happening to me when I lay down and now it happens when I am standing too. I took medicine for acid reflux for two weeks. I have no heartburn. But still, have symptoms. Blood pressure is normal and heart rate changes frequently from 59 to 78. No stress and no anxiety. It happens when I am very relaxed. Mostly at night, but lately during the day too. I did ECG but they said my heart is good. But maybe I have something it does not detect. I had a reading of 152/99 two weeks ago, but after a diet, it went down to 120/81.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This can be cardiac arrhythmia like PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) or atrial fibrillation, in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases. Blood pressure falls during these episodes and one has dizziness, fainting, chest pain or discomfort, blackouts, sometimes syncope. Usually, ECG is normal as it is usually done in between the episodes. ECG done during episodes will show abnormality.

You will need 24-hour Holter monitoring. So, visit a nearby cardiologist for these investigations.

Is there any stress or anxiety associated?

Until your evaluation is complete, you can ask your local doctor for tablet Ciplar LA (Propranolol) 20 mg once a day. Also, thyroid test should be done. ln order to abort such episodes, you should try to cough hard.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I feel as if my heart is pounding irregularly. Can it be atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female. My blood pressure is low normal. I have never had any heart issues except palpitations when pregnant 10 years ago. They did a cardiac ultrasound at that time, which was normal. Just over a week ago, I started feeling, intermittently during the day, as if my ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your detailed narration and understand your concerns. The ECG (electrocardiogram) recordings are clearly suggestive of atrial fibrillation (AF) and there is no doubt about it. The P-wave is absent and the rhythm is irregular. Both are suggestive of...  Read Full

Can lightheadedness with abnormal heart rate be due to atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, Last weekend, I ended up in the ER department after an overdose on THC capsules. Very scary experience my heart was going crazy, very bad chest pain, shortness of breath, tremor, etc., for about five hours. I had an ECG done in the hospital which said sinus tachycardia. My blood was t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is possible, but a likely possibility is of ventricular ectopics (or other causes) rather than Afib which could also cause irregular heartbeats on the machine. Even in normal individuals, the machine may falsely show irregular beats. Few points which are agains...  Read Full

I felt as if my heart stopped beating. Could this be a panic attack symptom?

Query: Hello doctor, I wanted to know if you could answer one question for me. I experienced an episode that lasted roughly about two to three minutes where I felt that I could not seem to catch my breath and it felt as if my heart had stopped beating. I checked my heart rate roughly three minutes after t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can be a cardiac arrhythmia like PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) or atrial fibrillation, in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases. And one may get symptoms like shortness of breath, chest pain or heaviness, dizziness, etc. ...  Read Full