iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologyparoxysmal supraventricular tachycardiaI feel dizzy, heaviness in my chest, and weakness. Please help.

Suddenly, I start feeling dizziness, pressure in the chest, and weakness. Why?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At March 6, 2018
Reviewed AtDecember 19, 2023

Patient's Query

I am 33 years old. Sometimes, out of nowhere, I start feeling dizzy, pressure in the chest with heavy breathing and weak legs and hands. Sometimes, I have headaches. No arm or chest pain. It was happening to me when I lay down and now it happens when I am standing too. I took medicine for acid reflux for two weeks. I have no heartburn. But still, have symptoms. Blood pressure is normal and heart rate changes frequently from 59 to 78 beats per minute. No stress and no anxiety. It happens when I am very relaxed. Mostly at night, but lately during the day too. I did ECG but they said my heart is good. But maybe I have something it does not detect. I had a reading of 152/99 mmHg two weeks ago, but after a diet, it went down to 120/81 mmHg. Thank you.

This can be cardiac arrhythmia like PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) or atrial fibrillation, in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases. Blood pressure falls during these episodes and one has dizziness, fainting, chest pain or discomfort, blackouts, sometimes syncope. Usually, ECG is normal as it is usually done in between the episodes. ECG done during episodes will show abnormality. You will need 24-hour Holter monitoring. So, visit a nearby cardiologist for these investigations. Is there any stress or anxiety associated? Until your evaluation is complete, you can ask your local doctor for tablet Ciplar LA (Propranolol) 20 mg once a day. Also, thyroid test should be done. ln order to abort such episodes, you should try to cough hard. Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Cardiology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Cardiology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy