Q. Are H. pylori infection and stomach cancer interrelated?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

In the past one month, I have been feeling like bloated stomach and uncomfortable as if my stomach was full. Initially, I went to a local doctor. However, that did not help me. Then, I went to a gastroenterologist, who initially gave me medicines and then did an endoscopy. Post the endoscopy, there was slight swelling in the intestine and slight redness. So, the doctor did a RUT test to check for H.pylori bacteria and the result was positive. Please let me know more about this bacteria. Is this related to cancer? Is there any complete cure for this bacteria? Also, I would like to know about diet I should follow now.

#

• Helicobacter pylori is a bacterial infection, which occur from unhygienic food and typically occur only in the stomach.
  • Because of the infection, the stomach wall inflamed (redness and swelling) and due to this, symptoms of gastritis such as nausea, upper abdominal pain, early satiety and bloating were developed.
  • For confirmation of this, either endoscopy with biopsy of stomach tissue or urea breath test is necessary.
  • There is no correlation of H.pylori infection with stomach cancer.

H.pylori infection.

Endoscopy.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|