Q. My last endoscopy for gastritis was eight years ago. Do I need another test?

Dr. Noushif M
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Eight years ago, I had an esophagogastroduodenoscopy. It came back normal except for some mild chronic antrum gastritis (reactive gastritis) and mild duodenal bulb duodenitis. I have been on Prilosec for 10 years, but have recently had some flare-ups, lots of stomach gurgling, gas, and constipation issues. Do you think I need another test?

#

• Your reports look alright (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Your symptoms are suggestive of recurrent mild gastritis (excessive acidity). You can continue the use of acid-blocking medicines like Prilosec (Omeprazole) as needed for a couple of days when you have the symptoms. But, it is better to stay away from using them daily for prolonged periods.
  • These symptoms can be improved by blocking the precipitating factors.
  1. Have a healthy diet. Decrease spicy, oily, and fried foods. Try to avoid foods like coffee and carbonated drinks which can affect the esophageal sphincter.
  2. Also avoid food items that can worsen constipation like maize-based food, junk food, chocolate, refined flour products, etc.
  3. Do regular exercises. For example, you can go for a walk for an hour every day.
  4. Try having frequent short feeds rather than stomach full feeds.
  5. Your BMI (body mass index) is slightly on the higher side. Try to reduce your weight gradually. Be physically active.
  6. If your symptoms worsen, or if you are experiencing any new symptoms, you can get an endoscopy done. 
  7. Last, but not the least, lead a stress-free life.

Hope I have cleared your queries to your satisfaction.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you for your reply.

#

You are welcome. Please follow the instructions. I will review as needed.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|