Q. After a brain tumor removal, I still have some persistent symptoms. Should I be worried?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a hemangioblastoma tumor removed from the back right cerebellum last year. The operation was successful and the tumor was 100 % removed. Before my surgery, I felt some twitching, night sweats, and headaches. I no longer have headaches, but I am having some night sweats and my twitching is back, but only in the eyes and calves. My recent MRI was three months ago. There were no findings, just hematoma from the surgery. I will have another one soon for follow up. Is there anything to worry about with the twitching and night sweats? They seem to be very persistent.

#

• These symptoms may not be related to the lesion in your brain.
  • Have you got your blood sugars checked? Have you been eating well?
  • Consult a physician to get liver renal functions done.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

According to my post operation paperwork, which I can post later if you like, they said my liver function was normal. They were concerned with my frequent urination and my blood sugar. But, I was tested before for diabetes and that came up negative. I had an abdomen ultrasound and CT scan while I was in the ICU which came back with no abnormalities. Also, these symptoms have been persistent for at least two years with night sweats. So, I can ask about a liver and renal test. Is this something they may have missed? They did screen me for cancer very thoroughly. If it is a liver problem, is this correctable?

#

• The night sweats are a common symptom of hemangioma. If the tumor is 100 % removed as per the surgeon, then it is difficult to explain the persistent night sweats. We can look for a small hemangioma at any other location which could have been missed or a repeat MRI to look for a residual lesion or recurrence. I would advise PET MRI brain and a PET CT. I do not mean to scare you or anything as this can still be a benign symptom which may pass off. But let us investigate if it is feasible.
  • I am not sure about the twitching and why it is only on the eyes and calves?

|