Q. Why does my blood sugar levels increase after eating high carb or sugary foods?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2021

I have a fasting blood sugar of 133 mg/dL and postprandial blood sugar of 175 mg/dL. Can I take medicine for a few days to normalize the sugar level with exercise? When I take food in small amounts, my sugar level does not increase and if I take sugar candy or a high carb food, then my sugar suddenly gets raised and after two hours, it comes back to 175 mg/dL.

#

You have diabetes and so you have a fasting blood sugar level of more than 126 mg/dL. Just taking medicines for a few days will not solve the issue. Diabetes is defined as the condition presenting with high blood sugar levels in the blood. The fasting blood sugar less than 125 mg/dL and after taking food, the blood sugar should be less than 180 mg/dL after two hours of testing it.

Hba1c (hemoglobin A1C) is another way to diagnose diabetes. When the fasting blood glucose lies between 6 to 6.9 percent, it suggests an impaired blood sugar level and after two hours of eating, when the Hba1c shows a value between 5.8 to 10.9 percent, it suggests impaired glucose intolerance. When you test for blood sugar, you should eat a normal diet. Type 2 diabetes usually occurs due to a sedentary lifestyle presenting with increased carbohydrate and sugar intake in the diet. After the diagnosis of diabetes, you can see its complications and it can affect the eyes, heart, kidney, and nerves.

Can I take a medicine for diabetes?

#

Diabetes shows many complications. It is necessary to monitor it and to treat the complications associated with diabetes. Check your eyes for retinopathy and kidneys with urine albumin creatinine ratio. Check your feet. Lifestyle modification is necessary to treat diabetes. Try to take a diet with low carbohydrates and no added sugar. Stop taking bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. If you cannot stop eating it, try to take as little as possible. Try to take more vegetables, salads, and fibers in your diet. Do not take mango, grapes, and banana. You can take an apple but not more than a piece.

You can take strawberries and other berries along with peach apricot and a small amount of plums. Intermittent fasting can help to control diabetes. You can fast for sixteen hours after taking dinner at seven o clock and do not eat anything after that and then take breakfast at 11 o clock. Drink water and green tea without sugar. You can extend fasting up to twenty four hours and then for thirty-six hours as the body adopts. You can do fasting two times a week or when you feel comfortable and it will control your sugar.

Sleep well and do exercise for at least thirty to forty minutes daily. The more you practice, the things will become better soon. Check your sugar frequently. Your fasting blood sugar should be less than 100 mg/dL and after two hours of eating, the blood sugar should be less than 140 mg/dL. Your Hba1c should be less than 6 percent. These targets can vary from person to person depending on the diabetic condition and other relevant issues. Try to follow this for a month and check your sugar levels. If still, your sugar levels are high, then you may need to take medications.

|