Q. Are my headaches and dizziness suggestive of a brain tumor?

I have been having headaches and dizziness for five days. The headache is around my forehead and behind my eyes. I am 30 years old. My aunt has a brain tumor. I am wondering if my headache can be a tumor as well.

Do you have a question on Headache or Migraine?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY
Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I like to inform you that we need to think the common causes of a headache before jumping to serious and uncommon causes. There is saying that if you think of rare causes for the symptoms of the patient you are rarely correct. I mean to say that although the headache is one of the manifestations of a brain tumor, it is one of the rare cause for headaches.
  • I also like to inform you that most individuals with a brain tumor have chronic headaches rather than the short term headache. Headaches along with pain behind eyes can present in a variety of conditions including due to a migraine, tension-type headache, and stress.
  • As stated above, it is important to have less concern as headaches are one of the common symptoms for all of us while a minor fraction of us develop brain cancers. I understand that there is genetic loading, but your presentation does not indicate the presence of brain tumor. This is because the brain tumors occupy the space and cause pressure symptoms and focal neurological symptoms, which are absent in your case.
  • Having said this, I like to communicate that there is no harm in undergoing brain imaging for reassurance and confirmation of the fact that your headache is not associated with any brain tumor.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for the reply. What about the dizziness along with heaviness in my head? Are they related to an infection? What is the cure for them?

M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY

• The same thing is applicable for dizziness. To clarify I like to state that dizziness is often a manifestation of migraine, medications, anxiety, and alcohol abuse. The other common cause for similar manifestation is inner ear abnormalities, which could result in headache as well as dizziness. The brain tumor causing headache as well as dizziness is one of the rare causes as stated above.
  • If you ask me in the practical terms, dizziness along with headaches is most often caused by a migraine, and I think this should be the first thing before we think for other causes in a young female like you.
  • Regarding your question as infections causing same, my answer is no, provided there is no fever, no irritability, and no neck rigidity. It is almost rare to have any symptoms due to infection without the presence of fever in healthy young individuals.
  • Regarding the treatment, it is advisable to start with a simple analgesic such as Acetaminophen or Naproxen 500 mg on a need basis. In case analgesic does not help you adequately, it is time to see your doctor.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Are there any permanent side-effects of Percoset?
Query: Hello doctor, If prescribed Percoset (5/325) and reversion back to regular Acetaminophen, is there even a slight chance that the oxy component of the Percoset could be triggered since Percoset side effects can be permanent even with one use?  Read Full »
Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Acetaminophen is safe compared to Percoset. Single use of Percoset never causes permanent side effects. The side effect caused by a single dose (such as loss of appetite and difficulty in emptying bladder) will be for one day only. Once the amount of drug gets excreted ...  Read Full »

Why am I having dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?
Query: Hello doctor, For a couple of days now I have been ill and the symptoms are getting worse. First, it started off with a swollen throat (which I still have but is not as bad) which gives me a phlegm cough but has reduced. I constantly have dizziness and blackouts with pulsating sensations not only g...  Read Full »
Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on descriptive history, I come to the conclusion that it started off as a viral infection (a sore throat) and has progressed to a secondary bacterial infection which has manifested as a cough with phlegm and due to phlegm accumulation in your sinuses, you are experi...  Read Full »

I get dizziness when I look up or get up. What is causing this?
Query: Hello doctor,I have been getting bouts of confusion, dizziness (when looking up and sometimes when getting up), headaches, pulses, and pressure in my head and what I can only explain as brain fog (during these episodes, I find that my problem solving and my cognitive function is diminished). The epi...  Read Full »
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to intracranial hypertension or any of the other disorders. An inner ear disorder, vertigo, or epilepsy may lead to such clinical situation. For this reason, I re...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now