Q. Are my headaches and dizziness suggestive of a brain tumor?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I have been having headaches and dizziness for five days. The headache is around my forehead and behind my eyes. I am 30 years old. My aunt has a brain tumor. I am wondering if my headache can be a tumor as well.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I like to inform you that we need to think the common causes of a headache before jumping to serious and uncommon causes. There is saying that if you think of rare causes for the symptoms of the patient you are rarely correct. I mean to say that although the headache is one of the manifestations of a brain tumor, it is one of the rare cause for headaches.
  • I also like to inform you that most individuals with a brain tumor have chronic headaches rather than the short term headache. Headaches along with pain behind eyes can present in a variety of conditions including due to a migraine, tension-type headache, and stress.
  • As stated above, it is important to have less concern as headaches are one of the common symptoms for all of us while a minor fraction of us develop brain cancers. I understand that there is genetic loading, but your presentation does not indicate the presence of brain tumor. This is because the brain tumors occupy the space and cause pressure symptoms and focal neurological symptoms, which are absent in your case.
  • Having said this, I like to communicate that there is no harm in undergoing brain imaging for reassurance and confirmation of the fact that your headache is not associated with any brain tumor.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for the reply. What about the dizziness along with heaviness in my head? Are they related to an infection? What is the cure for them?

#

• The same thing is applicable for dizziness. To clarify I like to state that dizziness is often a manifestation of migraine, medications, anxiety, and alcohol abuse. The other common cause for similar manifestation is inner ear abnormalities, which could result in headache as well as dizziness. The brain tumor causing headache as well as dizziness is one of the rare causes as stated above.
  • If you ask me in the practical terms, dizziness along with headaches is most often caused by a migraine, and I think this should be the first thing before we think for other causes in a young female like you.
  • Regarding your question as infections causing same, my answer is no, provided there is no fever, no irritability, and no neck rigidity. It is almost rare to have any symptoms due to infection without the presence of fever in healthy young individuals.
  • Regarding the treatment, it is advisable to start with a simple analgesic such as Acetaminophen or Naproxen 500 mg on a need basis. In case analgesic does not help you adequately, it is time to see your doctor.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|