Common "Hematoma" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Hematoma is defined as the accumulation of blood outside larger blood vessels, which is most commonly due to damage or trauma of the site. Ear, subungual, scalp, septal, subcutaneous, retroperitoneal, splenic, hepatic, intracranial epidural, spinal epidural, and subdural hematoma are the different types of hematoma based on the location. It is characterized by swelling, pain, discoloration, tenderness, redness, and warmth in the area.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My toe nail got injured with a plate and a tiny spot appeared under my nail. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old male and I found a tiny spot under my nail. Six months back, I dropped a big plate on my toe and it became blue due to impact. I was not able to walk for two weeks. After the disappearance of blue, my nails have become yellow or golden color at the tip and I think th...  Read Full »

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Though it looks like blue nevus, it is rare to occur in a subungual area in the acquired state (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Though it remains harmless. it can have a malignant transformation rarely. It is indicated by ...  Read Full »

My father has got a brown spot in his eye after he was striked with a metal brooch. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My father got struck with a metal brooch in his left eye corner and the eye became red. There is a kind of brown spot at the corner. At the very end of his eye, a bubble is formed. Now, what should I do? I am worried, and it is hurting him a lot. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Agarwal Krishna Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I think the injury to the eye by the metal brooch has caused a collection of blood there. It is known as a hematoma. This is the reason for the brown spot and bubble formation. You should consult an ophthalmologist for an eye checkup to confirm that there are not any...  Read Full »

After an injury, I get prominent veins on the side of penis. When will it become normal?

Query: Hi doctor,I had an injury to my penis about three ago, which caused a blood clot at the base of the penis. The clot has healed within three to four days. However, on one side of my penis, there are prominently visible veins. When flaccid that looks irregular, and also, there seems to be a vein that ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandip Pramanik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You had an injury over the base of the penis and had a hematoma over there, and there are prominent veins at the side of the injury. Let me first assure you it was most probably a superficial injury. As you ...  Read Full »

Can improper laboratory techniques affect the results?

Query: Hello doctor, One week ago, my mother had a CBC done, and the results were all perfectly normal. However, the laboratory forgot to order a peripheral smear review (which her doctor requested). So a week later, the CBC was repeated with a smear. Oddly, the results of this new CBC were, 1. Low WBC. 2....  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the I have reviewed your query and attached images as well. You are having superficial thrombophlebitis most likely as per given history and attached image. It can be most likely due to a technical error during collection. However, your low red blood cell count, low ...  Read Full »

Please review my father's brain CT scan.

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion on my father's computed tomography (CT) scan (brain). He has been suffering from mild to severe headaches for about two weeks and is now diagnosed with a clot in his head that is causing a midline shift. I am uploading two sets of CT scan images, the f...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I am sorry to hear about your father. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If the only symptom he has is this clot in the brain, and no other neurological symptoms such as weakness on the left side of the body or speech cha...  Read Full »

Why is there swelling and pain in elbow area after an accident?

Query: Hello doctor, I was involved in a car accident which my vehicle ran reverse on my left arm and got swelling and bruises all over my arm and now when I try to lay my arm down on something, there is a lot of pain in the elbow area and around the top of the elbow area and the doctor says there is noth...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There must be crushing of the tissues and what is called internal degloving and a collection of blood called a hematoma and that causes the part to be swollen and warm to touch. As long as there is no fracture then you do not need a plaster but a sling to rest the ar...  Read Full »

My right breast exhibits built-up fluid post-breast surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a gynecomastia surgery last week, and a week later my right breast was swollen. So, I went to see my doctor, and he said I have fluid accumulated in my chest. He opened my stitches and placed a scissor inside, and took out the fluid and blood, and closed the incision. It was very pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Vikram Kumar Raja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to What you had the first time was hematoma or blood collection which was drained. Now, what you have is a seroma, which usually gets absorbed by the body in a couple of weeks. I would suggest you wait or if you want to confirm if it is a seroma or hematoma, you can get a...  Read Full »

How to clear the blood clot present in my finger?

Query: Hello doctor, My finger was pressed between doors around 15 to 20 days ago and blood was clotted in that area. Please refer to the attached pictures. But, since last week, it looks like in the picture.  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through all the data posted. From the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like your finger has gotten infected. Kindly consult a general surgeon at your local place so that he can examine and drain pus, if present. You also ne...  Read Full »

I had a head injury last week. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 40-year-old female. I had a severe hit on my head last week, and I am feeling the pain often in my head region. I am feeling nauseous and feel like vomiting when I eat something. I also feel some pulsations in my head. My doubt is, will this hit cause clotting of blood in the bra...  Read Full »

Dr. Chibitam Hope Obia

Answer: Hello,Welcome to just read your query. I can understand your concern.Thanks for reaching out to iCliniq. I am very sorry about your medical condition. Do not worry. I am here to take care of you. May I ask, did you have a head-on-side collision with a vehicle or any fatal death during ...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of mega cisterna magna?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done a CT (Computed Tomography) scan of the brain recently and found everything was normal but with mega cisterna. The report shows scalp hematoma but that was from childhood and operated. I am worried about mega cisterna. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Devender Pal Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your CT scan is normal. Mega cisterna magna is a normal variant. So do not worry about that. Scalp hematoma is a collection of blood outside your skull (bone) and is, therefore nothing to ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.