Q. I have a bruise on my arm after plasma transfusion. Why?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

I have a really bad bruise on my arm after giving plasma. I think it might be a blood clot. I am an 18 year old male.

#

• By looking at the picture and history provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I think it is a small dispersed hematoma because of leakage of blood from the blood vessels.
  • As it has happened at the site of venepuncture, it is mainly because of inadequate expertise of nursing staff.
  • The needle might have damaged the artery, as you were donating blood, leading to blood leakage and hematoma formation.
  • At this point, I assume you do not have any allergy or bleeding or clotting disorders leading to such bruise at the site of needle insertion.
  • My suggestion is to apply Thrombophob ointment (combination of Heparin and Benzyl nicotinate) at the site two to three times daily. It will slowly resolve over a week's period.
  • If bruise grows and increases in intensity, then consult your local doctor immediately to find out any other potential causes.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|