iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral PractitionerhematomaWhy do I have a bruise in my arm after plasma transfusion?

I have a bruise on my arm after plasma transfusion. Why?

I have a bruise on my arm after plasma transfusion. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Nagaraj

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At July 25, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 13, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have a really bad bruise on my arm after giving plasma. I think it might be a blood clot. I am an 18 year old male.

Answered by Dr. Nagaraj


Welcome to icliniq.com.

By looking at the picture and history provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I think it is a small dispersed hematoma because of leakage of blood from the blood vessels. As it has happened at the site of venepuncture, it is mainly because of inadequate expertise of nursing staff. The needle might have damaged the artery, as you were donating blood, leading to blood leakage and hematoma formation. At this point, I assume you do not have any allergy or bleeding or clotting disorders leading to such bruise at the site of needle insertion. My suggestion is to apply Thrombophob ointment (combination of Heparin and Benzyl nicotinate) at the site two to three times daily. It will slowly resolve over a week's period. If bruise grows and increases in intensity, then consult your local doctor immediately to find out any other potential causes. Thank you and take care. Regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Nagaraj
Dr. Nagaraj


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:


Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Practitioner

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy