iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHematologyhemoglobinWhat should I do to correct my low Hb and other blood values?

I am losing weight with low hemoglobin and persistent cough. Kindly help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At December 8, 2020
Reviewed AtDecember 20, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 64-year-old male. My hemoglobin is 9.3, PLCR 45%, Plateletcrit 0.42%. I am facing weight loss for the past three months, and I have a persistent cough.

Currently, I am on medications for diabetes and hypertension.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

In the attached report (atachment removed to protect patient identity), hemoglobin level, PCV (packed cell voulme), MCV (mean corpuscular volume) and MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) are especially low which is suggestive of anemia. RDW (red cell distribution width) is high, so probably iron deficiency anemia.

I suggest you take Orofer like ferrous ascorbate containing tablet for two months. Meanwhile, you should consult a hematologist once for a physical examination. LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase) estimation, reticulocyte count, and PS examination like report can be planned if your hematologist feel it.

Take iron-rich food and iron tablet with orange juice to increase its absorption. Stool examination report also should be done.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

I am diagnosed with beta-thalassemia heterozygous condition. Kindly advise on diet.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

There is no need to take any medicine for your problem. Beta thalassemia minor, especially heterozygous, can be managed by taking more iron-rich foods like green leafy vegetables, pumpkin seeds, etc.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy