Q. Can iron supplements cause constipation?

Dr. Rajesh Jain

My daughter is 16-years-old, and she has been unwell for the past week. However, her temperature has reduced, and the doctor said that she seems to be anemic at the time of consultation. And her blood reports showed a Hb level of 9, and the doctor said it was below the average level. He suggested some iron supplements such as ferrous salts. Within a week, my child is facing constipation problems, and I suspect it to be due to the intake of ferrous sulfate. How can I help my child with constipation? Will iron supplements cause constipation?

#

Iron supplements cause constipation. So, do not worry. I suggest you give her dates, beetroot, jaggery, and green leafy vegetables regularly. I suggest you give her the tablet Fersoft Z (Ferrous fumarate, cyanocobalmin, magnesium oxide, and folic acid) once per day for eight weeks. This will not cause constipation. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines with their consent.

|