Q. Is hemoglobin level of 17. 1 normal?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Last reviewed at: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old male. My hemoglobin level is 17.1. Last month when I donated blood I came to know that this. Again this month, when I checked, the level remains the same. I would like to know whether it is normal. If it is abnormal what should I follow to bring back that to normal?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

Hemoglobin level of 17.1 is near normal. Increased hemoglobin can be seen in conditions, where oxygenation is less, like hilly areas, lung disorders and the air you breathe is low in oxygen. To compensate red blood cells increases and hence the hemoglobin. In these conditions, hemoglobin can be more than 18 g% and we call this condition as polycythemia. At present, for you it is not polycythemia. Unless it is more than 18 g%, there is nothing to worry. No need to return it to normal. Few books do say that the range between 13.5 and 17.5 is normal in male. At present, there is nothing to worry. Blood donation is good and do continue it.

For further information consult a hematologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full

Is polycythemia vera related to cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a female, 50 years old and want to know whether polycythemia vera is related to cancer or not. I have taken JAK2 mutation test which is negative. What is this test for? I have erythromelalgia blood disorder. Is all this connected to cancer? I want to understand this test and doubts...  Read Full >>

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Polycythemia vera is not exactly cancer. It comes under the group of diseases called myeloproliferative disorders. Basically, it is an uncontrolled proliferation of your blood cells. In polycythemia vera, your red blood cells increase in an uncontrolled way. Usually ...  Read Full

Do increased levels of RBC and vitamin B12 indicate early onset polycythemia vera?

Query: Hi doctor, My RBC levels have been slightly elevated for the past six months. It was 5.17 a year back, and a couple of months back it was 5.39. I noticed that from the last two years, the RBC count has been borderline high. Last week my vitamin B12 was tested due to a nerve issue in my face, which ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your knowledge and awareness towards your health, and I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your vitamin B12 level is certainly high, enough that warrants further investigation. Following are the common causes for high vit...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now