Q. Can polycythemia vera be related to cancer?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

I am a female, 50 years old and want to know whether polycythemia vera is related to cancer or not. I have taken JAK2 mutation test which is negative. What is this test for? I have erythromelalgia blood disorder. Is all this connected to cancer? I want to understand this test and doubts. Can you let me know?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

Polycythemia vera is not exactly cancer. It comes under the group of diseases called myeloproliferative disorders. Basically, it is an uncontrolled proliferation of your blood cells. In polycythemia vera, your red blood cells increase in an uncontrolled way. Usually patient present with incidentally detected high hemoglobin or hematocrit on blood tests. It can cause a headache, blurring vision, pruritis, painful extremities. One characteristics finding is aquagenic pruritis that is itching induced while bathing with hot water. It is confirmed by doing JAK2 mutation and erythropoietin levels. About 90 to 95 % of cases of PV show this mutation.

All these symptoms can be seen with secondary polycythemia which can be caused by many causes. Like tumors secreting erythropoietin (EPO), smoking, heart disease, abnormal hemoglobin. So if your EPO value is high, secondary causes need to be ruled out. As you have mentioned your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), fit the diagnosis of polycythemia. But JAK2 is negative. I would advise you to get EPO values, and if they are high, a detailed search for secondary causes should be done before labeling diagnosis as polycythemia vera or primary polycythemia. As JAK2 is negative, polycythemia cases are very rare. Till then, you can take antiplatelet and periodic phlebotomy to maintain a hematocrit of 42 or below.

| 

Why are my hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. W...  Read Full »

What is the meaning behind my blood values?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the meaning behind having these blood values? MCV 72.9- MCH 25.0- RBC 5.79+ All other values are normal except for globulin 2.15. Can it be an anemia while having normal hemoglobin and normal RBC count (even higher than normal?  Read Full »

What is your suggestion for polycythemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.  Read Full »