Q. What can I do for blood in cough?

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar
Published on Nov 27, 2018

I am getting blood in cough. What should I do? Please suggest some medicine.

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology
#

The question is what and where the blood is coming from (hemoptysis). For people with a prolonged cough, you can sometimes have a small tear in tissues which leads to a very small amount of blood. This is something that would happen after multiple days of severe coughing. This is a scenario in which an investigation in the source of cough is warranted to treat the underlying problem.

If it is a large amount of blood or regular bleeding with coughs, this sounds like something that needs to be evaluated by a physician as soon as possible. There are not many normal reasons for there to be persistent bleeding. Possibilities include infection (TB), lung clots, or bleeding vessels of the esophagus, among others. Signs of active and/or large volume blood loss include lightheadedness, dizziness, fatigue.

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Does "tree in bud nodules" in CT scan mean cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My CT scan says defined streaky opacity with associated loss volume and clustered tree in bud nodules have developed in the anterior segment of the upper left lobe. The associated central bronchi are impacted. Without an obvious mass, although a small central lesion is not excluded. The ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now