Q. What can I do for blood in cough?

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

I am getting blood in cough. What should I do? Please suggest some medicine.

#

The question is what and where the blood is coming from (hemoptysis). For people with a prolonged cough, you can sometimes have a small tear in tissues which leads to a very small amount of blood. This is something that would happen after multiple days of severe coughing. This is a scenario in which an investigation in the source of cough is warranted to treat the underlying problem.

If it is a large amount of blood or regular bleeding with coughs, this sounds like something that needs to be evaluated by a physician as soon as possible. There are not many normal reasons for there to be persistent bleeding. Possibilities include infection (TB), lung clots, or bleeding vessels of the esophagus, among others. Signs of active and/or large volume blood loss include lightheadedness, dizziness, fatigue.

|