Q. What causes fluid in abdomen with back pain and low BP in a hepatitis B patient?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

My father is suffering from hepatitis B and currently his medication is going on. Medicines are: Entaliv 0.5 mg, Reheptin, Pantodac L, Livoluk 15 a day, Ulyses 300, Norflox 400, Lasilactone once a day, Lket trice a day. Also, tapoing is doing. Condition- Fluid in abdomen, back pain, low BP (90/60). No improvement even after two months of treatment.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I can understand you must be very upset about your father's health.

Form history and medication history, it seems he has liver cirrhosis. In other words it is called scarring of liver, shrunken liver, or chronic liver disease. Well the medications he is on, and recent history of tapping of abdominal water, suggest he has advanced disease which require a close follow up and listing such patient on liver transplantation. The liver transplantation is the only definite therapy for advanced liver scarring such as in your's father case. But it is required to assign liver transplantation not too early and neither too late. There are some scoring that should be performed before recommending liver transplant. The one such score require blood investigations, radiological test such as Contrast enhanced CT scan.

The reason why you do not see any improvement even after 2 months of treatment is that all treatment is just supportive and does not correct underlying problem within liver, except Entaliv which is used for suppression of hepatitis B infection. To correct underlying liver, it is liver transplantation which could help. The survival are good after liver transplantation such as on average 70% individuals survive at 5 years after successful transplant. I want you to share me the complete blood investigations and tests that have been done, as I can be able to stage his disease, and give you reasonable approach to the problem.

Chronic liver disease Hepatitis B related

Follow up to provide more information and investigations

| 

Can hepatitis B be transmitted by saliva?

Query: Hello doctor, Is hepatitis B transmitted by saliva? Hepatitis B virus is just detected in my body. My viral load is 1.5 * 10^5 count/mL. Is it possible for me to get totally cure for this disease? If it is possible how much time will it take to get totally cured?  Read Full »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »