Q. Can hereditary spherocytosis be the cause of elevated bilirubin and blood in urine?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I have hereditary spherocytosis with snapping scapula and spermatocele. Before few weeks, I took some blood tests. I had elevated levels of bilirubin and low WBC levels. Yesterday, I took a urine sample and found a large amount of blood in my urine. Is this serious? Can I have a blood disorder?

#

Yes, it is a disorder that may cause an unstable RBC (red blood cells) membrane leading to produce spherical-shaped RBC. After passing through the spleen, it causes hemolysis. The common complications are anemia, jaundice, gall stones, folic acid deficiency, and aplastic bone marrow. So, you need to treat the condition by taking blood transfusion for anemia, folic acid supplementation, and splenectomy for hemolysis. High color of urine can occur due to jaundice. Spermatocele does not cause this problem. So consult your physician soon for examination and treat your condition accordingly.

|