Q. My father had HIE due to a heart attack, and is now in coma. What to do?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

My father has hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy due to a heart attack. Tracheostomy has been done. He is in a coma. What are the options available now?

#

• In hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, there is some permanent brain cell damage due to transient decreased blood flow in the brain. To be frank, there is no specific treatment available for it on a long-term basis.
  • If the episode been few days prior, few neuroprotective agents having doubtful benefit, namely injection Cerebrolysin or injection Piracetam, can be tried. But, if it occurred more than two weeks prior, no specific medicine is effective.
  • If the patient is having seizures or jerks after the event, then medications to control those need to be given.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|