Q. My CRP and hs-CRP are borderline high. Am I at risk for cardiovascular complications?

Dr. Palanivel Rajan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2021

I am 26 years old with a weight of 60 kilograms. I am taking asthma inhalers and allergy medicines. My CRP and hs-CRP levels are present in borderline. I have an LDL cholesterol of 96 mg/dL and the rest of the lipids are normal. How to lower the levels of CRP, hs-CRP, and LDL? Am I at a higher risk to develop cardiovascular complications? I am taking steroid inhalers. What should be the targeted LDL levels according to my age? How to reduce low-grade inflammation as my CRP is 4.2 mg/L? Is it good to have hs-CRP of 2.80 mg/L? How to reduce my comorbidity risk in this pandemic situation? I get breathlessness on exertion and I have an ejection fraction of 50 to 55 percent. What are the tests to be done as a routine?

#

Please mention whether you have any recent infection. If yes, then the CRP (C-reactive protein) and hs-CRP (high sensitivity C-reactive protein) levels can be raised due to that reason. If not, try to rule out immunological disorders. You can repeat CRP. If it is normal, then you are at usual risk to have cardiac events. The targeted LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level should be less than 100 mg/dL. Your EF (ejection fraction) is 50 to 55 percent and it is in borderline. Further information can be explained when you share the full report. During pandemics, try to practice social distancing and hand hygiene. Be more cautious as you are asthmatic. Lipids should be monitored as you have a borderline LDL level.

| 

Kindly suggest a solution for my abdominal mass and weight gain with ulcerative colitis.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 43-year-old female. My height is 5.7 feet, and my weight is 100 kg. I am recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and 20 mm polyps have been removed from the rectum. Currently, I am taking Mercaptopurine, Allopurinol, and Pentasa. I have an abdominal mass above and to the righ...  Read Full »

Can asthma be permanently cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My son aged 4 years and 4 months is premature by birth at 34 weeks. His current weight is 15.5 kg. He always used to get a cough and sometimes fever in an interval of every two to three months, especially since last one year. However, there is no other visible physical or mental problem ...  Read Full »

Are medicines necessary for elevated LDL levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 43 years old. I do not smoke or drink, but my food habits are not very good. Recently, I got my blood checked for Apo B/Apo A and the ratio was really bad at 1.6. The triglyceride is around 474 and this rose from 270 around three months back. My HDL is 26, LDL 116 and TC 237. Let...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»