Q. My CRP and hs-CRP are borderline high. Am I at risk for cardiovascular complications?

Dr. Palanivel Rajan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2021

I am 26 years old with a weight of 60 kilograms. I am taking asthma inhalers and allergy medicines. My CRP and hs-CRP levels are present in borderline. I have an LDL cholesterol of 96 mg/dL and the rest of the lipids are normal. How to lower the levels of CRP, hs-CRP, and LDL? Am I at a higher risk to develop cardiovascular complications? I am taking steroid inhalers. What should be the targeted LDL levels according to my age? How to reduce low-grade inflammation as my CRP is 4.2 mg/L? Is it good to have hs-CRP of 2.80 mg/L? How to reduce my comorbidity risk in this pandemic situation? I get breathlessness on exertion and I have an ejection fraction of 50 to 55 percent. What are the tests to be done as a routine?

#

Please mention whether you have any recent infection. If yes, then the CRP (C-reactive protein) and hs-CRP (high sensitivity C-reactive protein) levels can be raised due to that reason. If not, try to rule out immunological disorders. You can repeat CRP. If it is normal, then you are at usual risk to have cardiac events. The targeted LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level should be less than 100 mg/dL. Your EF (ejection fraction) is 50 to 55 percent and it is in borderline. Further information can be explained when you share the full report. During pandemics, try to practice social distancing and hand hygiene. Be more cautious as you are asthmatic. Lipids should be monitored as you have a borderline LDL level.

|