Q. Can being on your menstrual period raise the platelet count?

Image: Can being on your menstrual period raise the platelet count?

I am 40 years old. I recently had a full panel of labs done and my platelet count was elevated as was my hs-CRP. All other labs were in optimal or normal range. My ferritin was on the lower end and my HbA1c was on the higher end of normal. I am currently being treated with low doses of T3 and T4. My thyroid is inflamed, and though a formal diagnosis of Hashimoto's is not made, it is suspected. I have high-risk HPV but my pap six months ago indicated everything was fine. What could be going on?

Dr.Parth R Goswami
M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology, Pathology

• In the provided report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the serum ferritin and hemoglobin are within the limit.
  • A slightly elevated platelet and high CRP (C-reactive protein) can be from a temporary inflammation, in which the platelet is raised because of IL-6. Even in bleeding, the platelet can get elevated.
  • For hypothyroidism, a regular hormonal replacement is needed, and the dose is to be adjusted according to the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level. You can discuss regarding the dose of the thyroid hormone adjustment accordingly with your treating doctor.
  • Repeat CBC (complete blood count) after week. Consult a physician for examination and discuss your case.

The report provided is not alarming. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Can being on your menstrual period raise the platelet count and hs-CRP? Also, can Hashimoto's or another auto-immune disorder affect the platelet count and hs-CRP? Should I see a cardiologist?

Dr.Parth R Goswami
M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology, Pathology

Hereby, I am giving you further opinion regarding your case.

• During the menstrual period, if there is heavy bleeding, it can be a reason for slight platelet level elevation.
  • An autoimmune disorder can affect CRP levels, but will not affect the platelet count.
  • Rheumatoid arthritis and SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) can elevate CRP, but Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not a well-known cause for CRP elevation. To rule out an autoimmune thyroid disorder, investigate with a microsomal antibody test and thyroglobulin antibody test.
  • Check serum TSH, T3 and T4. According to these thyroid reports, the further work up plan can be decided.
  • You are right that an elevated CRP suggests a heart problem, but if the CRP is constantly elevated, then consult a cardiologist. And, if any significant cardiac history is present, then provide it.
  • After a week, repeat CBC and CRP. If needed you can consult a physician for an examination. Provide any other complaints, if any, for giving further comments.
  • Your HbA1c is also within the limit with a normal sugar level.

Hope your concern is solved. Take care.

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Hematologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.