High Hematocrit

Does A Hematocrit Of 49.2 Indicate Polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor,My Hb is 15.8 but HCT is 49.2 and total RBC count is 5.63. What is the reason? I fear about polycythemia. Is it possible to reduce HCT?  Read Full »

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

Hematologist, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are a smoker, then stop smoking. At this stage, secondary polycythemia is more common than primary and smoking is the most common reason for secondary. For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hemat...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for elevated RBC, Hb and Hct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I have been itching all over for months and constantly covered with bruises, petechiae and livedo reticularis. I was diagnosed with erythromyalgia. I also have severe bone pain. My blood work came back with elevated RBC, Hb, Hct, low alkaline phosphate, low BUN...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The elevated hemoglobin, red blood cell count and hematocrit signify polycythemia. Elevated Vitamin B12 level is one of the markers of myeloproliferative disorder. I would strongly think of polycythemia vera. Other valu...  Read Full »

Why are my hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. W...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are slightly high. Your RBC count is only marginally elevated since the upper limit of normal is 5.5 million/cu.mm. With these values, there is a suspicion of you having hemochromatosis or an early stage of polycythemia vera. In ...  Read Full »

How to get relief from allergic rhinitis when having high TSH and hemoglobin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from allergies rhinitis. My TSH level is high, and my hemoglobin level is high. How to cure it?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For allergic rhinitis, you can take Fexofenadine for getting relief from congestion. If you have a repeated history of allergic rhinitis, then allergic testing can be done. An alteration in TSH can be seen due to inflammation. You have to redo your TSH (thyroid stimulat...  Read Full »

There is a drastic decrease in my platelet count in the last five months. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My hemoglobin level increased from 15 to 17, and platelet count decreased from 3.1 to 1.4 lakhs in the last five months. The only symptom I have is occasional skin itching.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your platelet count decreased over four months duration, chronic infection and drug history have to be ruled out first. If they are not causative then a detailed investigation plan should be decided according to the examinations as follows:  ESR (ery...  Read Full »

Are my blood test results worrisome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year old male. I just had a blood test. Results: Hemocrit 60.0 (h), Blood Urea Nitrogen 24 (h), MCV 96.6 (H), MCHC 31.9 (L), Creatinine 1.36 (H), Basophils 2.1 (H), All other labs were normal.  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. BUN levels represent the balance between urea production (liver), urea breakdown, and urea elimination (kidneys). Therefore, BUN is an indicator of kidney health and/or liver health. A high hematocrit could be due to many reasons and is not an indication of iron ove...  Read Full »

What are the possible causes for fatigue that did not improve with TRT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42-year-old male. I had undescended testes from childhood which went untreated (hence I had always been and am on single testis only). The undescended testis still lies in the groin. I used to feel fatigued most of the times over the years, due to which I had difficulty in conc...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know as to why you are receiving testosterone replacement therapy. I know that you have mentioned that you have one undescended testis. But many men do not have any problem even when they have a single functional testis. Testosterone replacement thera...  Read Full »

Are my hemoglobin and hematocrit values in the normal range?

Query: Hello doctor,I have 18.1 g/dL as my hemoglobin level and hematocrit is 50.8. Is it normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per your test results, your alkaline phosphatase and total bilirubin are elevated. This means that there is a problem in the liver or the biliary tract. Also, your LDL (low-density li...  Read Full »

Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your hemoglobin value is high and needs to be investigated. Let me know if your hematocrit values were checked. If it is high as well, the condition is polycythemia. The cause for polycythemia may be secondary to chronic hypoxia due to a chronic heart failure...  Read Full »

Why should I see a hematologist for high Hb and Hct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am really worried that my Hgb is 17.6 and Hct is 54.6. I have been recommended to consult a hematologist in cancer care center. I am bothered whether it is a major illness. Can you please help me out?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Your hemoglobin (Hb or Hgb) and hematocrit (Hct) is a bit high and hence further evaluation is being done. If you are from a hill station or a smoker or with lung disorder then this may be normal. This is called as polycythe...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.