High Hematocrit

What could be the reason for raised WBC, neutrophils, hemoglobin, and hematocrit values?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a WBC count of 11.2 and neutrophils are 7.8. Also, my hemoglobin is 17.8 and hematocrit 51.8. Is that serious? Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have recently done CBC (complete blood count) and revealed that WBC (white blood cells) 11.2, neutrophils 7.8, hemoglobin 17.8, and hematocrit 51.8. Your WBC, neutrophils, hemoglobin, and hematocrit are ...  Read Full »

Do high hemoglobin and hematocrit indicate polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having too many health issues for the last three weeks. I feel sleepy all the time even I sleep eight hours already. I am feeling weak, tiredness, dizziness, and headache on the right side of my head (pressure and dullness). My bowel habit changed to three to four times a day. I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. Hereby I am giving opinion regarding your case. First, let me know do you have any stress or anxiety issues? As severe stress can lead to hyperventilation and dizziness. Stress can change bowel habits as well and it can lead to headaches as well. If stress is pr...  Read Full »

What does it mean when hemoglobin and hematocrit are high?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week I went to the doctor for several reasons like headche, weakness, tightness and pressure in the head and body pain. He ordered some blood work and chest x-ray. Doctor told me that chest x-ray report is good and he just told I have low vitamin B12 level and I have bacteria in s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had a complaint of left side abdominal pain with a headache. Hence gastritis can be the possibility and for that antibiotic and antacid course are prescribed. S...  Read Full »

Is my hematocrit suggestive of polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 and Male, do not smoke. Four years back, hemoglobin was 18.1, RBC normal, hematocrit 50 % normal. Now, hemoglobin was 18.4 (value was up to 17.7) RBC normal 5.78 value up to 6, and hematocrit at 50 %. Platelets were 226. The doctor thinks I just run high but nervous. Would the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hemoglobin level and red blood cells count are slight high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The hematocrit level is within limit. So you can have secondary polycythemia case. Drink lots of water at least 2-3 liter per day. I suggest you investig...  Read Full »

Does A Hematocrit Of 49.2 Indicate Polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor,My Hb is 15.8 but HCT is 49.2 and total RBC count is 5.63. What is the reason? I fear about polycythemia. Is it possible to reduce HCT?  Read Full »

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

Hematologist, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are a smoker, then stop smoking. At this stage, secondary polycythemia is more common than primary and smoking is the most common reason for secondary. For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hemat...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for elevated RBC, Hb and Hct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. I have been itching all over for months and constantly covered with bruises, petechiae and livedo reticularis. I was diagnosed with erythromyalgia. I also have severe bone pain. My blood work came back with elevated¬†RBC, Hb, Hct, low alkaline phosphate, low BUN...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The elevated hemoglobin, red blood cell count and hematocrit signify polycythemia. Elevated Vitamin B12 level is one of the markers of myeloproliferative disorder. I would strongly think of polycythemia vera. Other valu...  Read Full »

Why are my hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. W...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are slightly high. Your RBC count is only marginally elevated since the upper limit of normal is 5.5 million/cu.mm. With these values, there is a suspicion of you having hemochromatosis or an early stage of polycythemia vera. In ...  Read Full »

How to get relief from allergic rhinitis when having high TSH and hemoglobin level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from allergies rhinitis. My TSH level is high, and my hemoglobin level is high. How to cure it?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For allergic rhinitis, you can take Fexofenadine for getting relief from congestion. If you have a repeated history of allergic rhinitis, then allergic testing can be done. An alteration in TSH can be seen due to inflammation. You have to redo your TSH (thyroid stimulat...  Read Full »

There is a drastic decrease in my platelet count in the last five months. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My hemoglobin level increased from 15 to 17, and platelet count decreased from 3.1 to 1.4 lakhs in the last five months. The only symptom I have is occasional skin itching.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your platelet count decreased over four months duration, chronic infection and drug history have to be ruled out first. If they are not causative then a detailed investigation plan should be decided according to the examinations as follows:  ESR (ery...  Read Full »

Are my blood test results worrisome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year old male. I just had a blood test. Results: Hemocrit 60.0 (h), Blood Urea Nitrogen 24 (h), MCV 96.6 (H), MCHC 31.9 (L), Creatinine 1.36 (H), Basophils 2.1 (H), All other labs were normal.  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. BUN levels represent the balance between urea production (liver), urea breakdown, and urea elimination (kidneys). Therefore, BUN is an indicator of kidney health and/or liver health. A high hematocrit could be due to many reasons and is not an indication of iron ove...  Read Full »