Q. What can be the reason for elevated RBC, Hb and Hct?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Dec 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I am a 34 year old female. I have been itching all over for months and constantly covered with bruises, petechiae and livedo reticularis. I was diagnosed with erythromyalgia. I also have severe bone pain. My blood work came back with elevated RBC, Hb, Hct, low alkaline phosphate, low BUN and creatinine. My vitamin B12 levels are in 1000s and not under 200. The neurologist says that I have fibromyalgia and changed my seizure medicines for juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Do I think that I should visit a hematologist and figure out why my bones hurt so badly in my legs and why I am so itchy? My current medication includes Oxycodone and Lamotrigine for epilepsy.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

The elevated hemoglobin, red blood cell count and hematocrit signify polycythemia. Elevated Vitamin B12 level is one of the markers of myeloproliferative disorder. I would strongly think of polycythemia vera.

Other values are within normal range (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggest no renal or liver disorders.

Increased hematocrit will slow down blood flow due to increased viscosity and this can cause few RBC to move out and lead to these symptoms. Even migraine, bone pain and increased itching can be attributed to sluggish blood flow.

Polycythemia vera is a cancerous condition and requires evaluation. I would strongly urge you to meet hematologist.

Hope there are no other causes of polycythemia like lung disorders or staying in hilly regions, etc.

With high vitamin B12 and polycythemia, polycythemia vera needs to be seriously evaluated.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?

Article Overview: High hemoglobin levels or polycythemia can be due to smoking, dehydration, or heart problems. This article describes the types and treatment options for polycythemia. Read Article

Dr. Kks
Hematologist

When Is the Hemoglobin Level Considered to Be High? According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are def...  Read Article

Why am I having high RBC and hemoglobin counts with low glycated hemoglobin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 53 years old, 183 lbs, 5'4". For years, I ran a high white blood count and the oncologist said nothing can be done about that. We need to now watch red blood count and RBC distribution and watch my spleen. Now approximately nine years later, for the last four years, I am seeing r...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. Your attached reports are suggestive of high RBC, hemoglobin, and HCT as per provided reference range in a laboratory report. So it is suggestive of polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary. Primary polycythemia s...  Read Full

Does A Hematocrit Of 49.2 Indicate Polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor,My Hb is 15.8 but HCT is 49.2 and total RBC count is 5.63. What is the reason? I fear about polycythemia. Is it possible to reduce HCT?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are a smoker, then stop smoking. At this stage, secondary polycythemia is more common than primary and smoking is the most common reason for secondary. For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hemat...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now