Q. My hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume are elevated. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Singh Smrita
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 03, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. What do you think?

Haemoglobin concentration 161 g/L [120.0 to 150.0], total white blood count 9.6 10*9/L [4.0 to 10.0], platelet count - observation 327 10*9/L [150.0 to 450.0], hematocrit 0.491 l/l [0.36 to 0.46], mean cell volume 83.8 fL [83.0 to 101.0], mean cell haemoglobin level 27.5 pg [27.0 to 32.0], mean cell haemoglobin concentration 328 g/L [315.0 to 345.0], red blood cell distribution width 12.5 % [11.6 to 14.0], red blood cell count 5.86 10*12/L [3.8 to 4.8], neutrophil count 6.3 10*9/L [2.0 to 7.0], lymphocyte count 2.6 10*9/L [1.1 to 3.5], monocyte count - observation 0.5 10*9/L [0.2 to 1.0], eosinophil count - observation 0.2 10*9/L [0.0 to 0.5], basophil count 0.1 10*9/L [0.0 to 0.1], percentage neutrophil count 66 %, percentage lymphocyte count 27 %, percentage monocyte count 5 %, percentage eosinophil count 2 %, percentage basophil count 1 %.



Welcome to

Your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are slightly high. Your RBC count is only marginally elevated since the upper limit of normal is 5.5 million/ With these values, there is a suspicion of you having hemochromatosis or an early stage of polycythemia vera. In hemochromatosis, there is iron overload and the two main tests required are serum ferritin and serum transferrin saturation. Genetic testing is confirmatory. For polycythemia vera, the red cell mass needs to be determined and preferably a bone marrow biopsy. Testing for the JAK 2 gene is confirmatory. It is better to get these conditions ruled out since they require treatment.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Why do I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine?

Thank you doctor, I am worried about her high RBC count ... RBC count up to 54 million mcL is normal for women ...   Read full

Is it possible to get high RBC in blood test due to fasting?

Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 60, hemoglobin 172, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC ... The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC ...   Read full

Why is Aspirin given for high hemoglobin and RBC count?

.. level, RBC (red blood cells), and PCV (packed cell volume) are high. The lymph node, liver, and spleen need to be clinically examined. Do you have a history of dizziness, weakness, and stroke? High level of RBC and hemoglobin can cause blood clo...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Missed Miscarriage - An Overview
Sometimes a miscarriage occurs without knowledge, as typical signs may be absent. This is called a missed miscarriage. L...  Read more»
H3N2v Influenza - Treatment and Prevention
Management and prevention of an Influenza A virus variant include various treatment options and measures. The below arti...  Read more»
Flu A - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
The flu, or influenza, is a contagious viral infection that attacks the respiratory system. Flu A and B viruses are resp...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.