Q. My hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume are elevated. Please help.

Dr. Smrita Singh
Published on Jan 03, 2019

I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. What do you think?

Haemoglobin concentration 161 g/L [120.0 to 150.0], total white blood count 9.6 10*9/L [4.0 to 10.0], platelet count - observation 327 10*9/L [150.0 to 450.0], hematocrit 0.491 l/l [0.36 to 0.46], mean cell volume 83.8 fL [83.0 to 101.0], mean cell haemoglobin level 27.5 pg [27.0 to 32.0], mean cell haemoglobin concentration 328 g/L [315.0 to 345.0], red blood cell distribution width 12.5 % [11.6 to 14.0], red blood cell count 5.86 10*12/L [3.8 to 4.8], neutrophil count 6.3 10*9/L [2.0 to 7.0], lymphocyte count 2.6 10*9/L [1.1 to 3.5], monocyte count - observation 0.5 10*9/L [0.2 to 1.0], eosinophil count - observation 0.2 10*9/L [0.0 to 0.5], basophil count 0.1 10*9/L [0.0 to 0.1], percentage neutrophil count 66 %, percentage lymphocyte count 27 %, percentage monocyte count 5 %, percentage eosinophil count 2 %, percentage basophil count 1 %.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are slightly high. Your RBC count is only marginally elevated since the upper limit of normal is 5.5 million/cu.mm. With these values, there is a suspicion of you having hemochromatosis or an early stage of polycythemia vera. In hemochromatosis, there is iron overload and the two main tests required are serum ferritin and serum transferrin saturation. Genetic testing is confirmatory. For polycythemia vera, the red cell mass needs to be determined and preferably a bone marrow biopsy. Testing for the JAK 2 gene is confirmatory. It is better to get these conditions ruled out since they require treatment.

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?

Article Overview: High hemoglobin levels or polycythemia can be due to smoking, dehydration, or heart problems. This article describes the types and treatment options for polycythemia. Read Article

Dr. Kks
Hematologist

When Is the Hemoglobin Level Considered to Be High? According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are def...  Read Article

Why am I having high RBC and hemoglobin counts with low glycated hemoglobin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 53 years old, 183 lbs, 5'4". For years, I ran a high white blood count and the oncologist said nothing can be done about that. We need to now watch red blood count and RBC distribution and watch my spleen. Now approximately nine years later, for the last four years, I am seeing r...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. Your attached reports are suggestive of high RBC, hemoglobin, and HCT as per provided reference range in a laboratory report. So it is suggestive of polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary. Primary polycythemia s...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now