Q. My hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume are elevated. Please help.

Dr. Smrita Singh

I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. What do you think?

Haemoglobin concentration 161 g/L [120.0 to 150.0], total white blood count 9.6 10*9/L [4.0 to 10.0], platelet count - observation 327 10*9/L [150.0 to 450.0], hematocrit 0.491 l/l [0.36 to 0.46], mean cell volume 83.8 fL [83.0 to 101.0], mean cell haemoglobin level 27.5 pg [27.0 to 32.0], mean cell haemoglobin concentration 328 g/L [315.0 to 345.0], red blood cell distribution width 12.5 % [11.6 to 14.0], red blood cell count 5.86 10*12/L [3.8 to 4.8], neutrophil count 6.3 10*9/L [2.0 to 7.0], lymphocyte count 2.6 10*9/L [1.1 to 3.5], monocyte count - observation 0.5 10*9/L [0.2 to 1.0], eosinophil count - observation 0.2 10*9/L [0.0 to 0.5], basophil count 0.1 10*9/L [0.0 to 0.1], percentage neutrophil count 66 %, percentage lymphocyte count 27 %, percentage monocyte count 5 %, percentage eosinophil count 2 %, percentage basophil count 1 %.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Your hemoglobin and hematocrit values are slightly high. Your RBC count is only marginally elevated since the upper limit of normal is 5.5 million/cu.mm. With these values, there is a suspicion of you having hemochromatosis or an early stage of polycythemia vera. In hemochromatosis, there is iron overload and the two main tests required are serum ferritin and serum transferrin saturation. Genetic testing is confirmatory. For polycythemia vera, the red cell mass needs to be determined and preferably a bone marrow biopsy. Testing for the JAK 2 gene is confirmatory. It is better to get these conditions ruled out since they require treatment.

|