Q. My absolute lymphocyte count is high. Can you suggest any Treatments ?

Published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

My absolute lymphocyte count is 4800, so I have lymphocytic leukocytosis. I have a dust allergy, and I had mild asthmatic bronchitis in the last week. I take tablet Telekast-L occasionally. 

Hematology Pathology
#

• Please mention your complaints. Do you have a common cold, congestion, fever, or weight loss? Do you have a smoking history?
  • Do you have asthma attacks regularly? Or is this the first time? Have you done spirometry examination for confirmation of asthma?
  • Lymphocytes are commonly elevated because of viral infection, for which symptomatic management is done.
  • Please attach your CBC (complete blood count) report with peripheral smear examination.

Provide the above information, so we can discuss further.

Revert with more information to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a common cold, but I do sneeze occasionally, as I travel a lot. I do not have congestion, fever, weight loss, or any history of smoking. I got a CBC done the last year, and at that time also the report said lymphocytosis. The asthma is very mild, only when I do intense exercise or running. I have not been sick for the past 3 to 4 months, but the elevated WBC count is worrying me. Please let me know, is there any need for concern.

Hematology Pathology
#

• It is good that smoking, weight loss, etc., are not present. I want to see your reports because you have not mentioned the WBC count. If total count is more than 50000, then further specific workup needs to be done.
  • And, I also want to see peripheral smear examination report to check the morphology of lymphocytes.
  • As per history, it does not seem to be much troublesome, and lymphocytosis can be from repeated viral infection.
  • You might have developed repeated allergic bronchitis problem, and not asthma, due to frequent traveling.
  • Asthma is type 1 allergic hypersensitivity problem, so for that, I recommend you to get pulmonary function test, like spirometry.
  • Whenever allergic inflammation occurs, try doing the following.
  1. Try taking a decongestant like Phenylephrine.
  2. If CBC shows eosinophilia, then Montelukast can be taken.
  3. Steam inhalation.
  4. Vitamin C lozenges.
  5. Oxymetazoline nasal drops.
  6. Try to take turmeric powder with warm milk.
  • And for lymphocytosis, repeat CBC after a week. If lymphocytosis persistent for many days or weeks, then further workup needs to be done.

Consult a physician for examination while keeping all this in mind.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

My results are normal except lymphocytes. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done CBC. My results are normal except lymphocytes 49 % also lymph are normal.  Read Full »

Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis increase lymphocytes after hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a total thyroidectomy (TT) two years ago and on my pathology report of the thyroid, I have had mild thyroiditis, and I always have high lymphocytes. For one period of about a year, they were raising every month. My Tg and Abt within normal range. I did anti-TPO and my result is ...  Read Full »

The CBC report shows high lymphocytes. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to get my brother's CBC annual report checked. Is everything fine? I see lymphocytes little high. Is that dangerous? I am worried and he is actually very healthy and fine last week he had loose motion but now he is fine and fit again.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now