Q. My absolute lymphocyte count is high. Can you suggest any Treatments ?

Published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

My absolute lymphocyte count is 4800, so I have lymphocytic leukocytosis. I have a dust allergy, and I had mild asthmatic bronchitis in the last week. I take tablet Telekast-L occasionally. 

Hematology Pathology
#

• Please mention your complaints. Do you have a common cold, congestion, fever, or weight loss? Do you have a smoking history?
  • Do you have asthma attacks regularly? Or is this the first time? Have you done spirometry examination for confirmation of asthma?
  • Lymphocytes are commonly elevated because of viral infection, for which symptomatic management is done.
  • Please attach your CBC (complete blood count) report with peripheral smear examination.

Provide the above information, so we can discuss further.

Revert with more information to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a common cold, but I do sneeze occasionally, as I travel a lot. I do not have congestion, fever, weight loss, or any history of smoking. I got a CBC done the last year, and at that time also the report said lymphocytosis. The asthma is very mild, only when I do intense exercise or running. I have not been sick for the past 3 to 4 months, but the elevated WBC count is worrying me. Please let me know, is there any need for concern.

Hematology Pathology
#

• It is good that smoking, weight loss, etc., are not present. I want to see your reports because you have not mentioned the WBC count. If total count is more than 50000, then further specific workup needs to be done.
  • And, I also want to see peripheral smear examination report to check the morphology of lymphocytes.
  • As per history, it does not seem to be much troublesome, and lymphocytosis can be from repeated viral infection.
  • You might have developed repeated allergic bronchitis problem, and not asthma, due to frequent traveling.
  • Asthma is type 1 allergic hypersensitivity problem, so for that, I recommend you to get pulmonary function test, like spirometry.
  • Whenever allergic inflammation occurs, try doing the following.
  1. Try taking a decongestant like Phenylephrine.
  2. If CBC shows eosinophilia, then Montelukast can be taken.
  3. Steam inhalation.
  4. Vitamin C lozenges.
  5. Oxymetazoline nasal drops.
  6. Try to take turmeric powder with warm milk.
  • And for lymphocytosis, repeat CBC after a week. If lymphocytosis persistent for many days or weeks, then further workup needs to be done.

Consult a physician for examination while keeping all this in mind.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

My results are normal except lymphocytes. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done CBC. My results are normal except lymphocytes 49 % also lymph are normal.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There seems to be a slight increase in the percentage of peripheral blood lymphocytes. However, if the total count of white blood cells is within the normal range and if all other findings including ESR are normal, then this is nothing to worry about. If you have an...  Read Full

Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis increase lymphocytes after hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a total thyroidectomy (TT) two years ago and on my pathology report of the thyroid, I have had mild thyroiditis, and I always have high lymphocytes. For one period of about a year, they were raising every month. My Tg and Abt within normal range. I did anti-TPO and my result is ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what I have seen leukocytes are within normal range as well as hemoglobin, platelets were not reported. From the automatic differential, there is indeed a slight lymphocytosis, but the m...  Read Full

The CBC report shows high lymphocytes. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to get my brother's CBC annual report checked. Is everything fine? I see lymphocytes little high. Is that dangerous? I am worried and he is actually very healthy and fine last week he had loose motion but now he is fine and fit again.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is fine. Slightly lymphocytes percentage is elevated, but this much variation is acceptable. Also, last week infection might have contributed to this slightly changed percentage, but it is nothing to worry as he is totally asymptomatic. If possible, get this repea...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now