Hip Arthroplasty

How is an intertrochanteric fracture treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 93 years old with several comorbidities. He fell suddenly and this happens to be his first fracture. High blood pressure and diabetes both are under control with medication. He also has two stents and a bioprosthetic valve. He suffered a fractured hip. It appears to be int...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The images attached have very poor quality (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your father has three part intertrochanteric fracture and does not require a hip arthroplasty. Hip salvage surgery is indicated. My choice for implant is proximal femoral interloc...  Read Full »

How long do I have to wait after Cortisone shot to have surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a Cortisone shot 10 days ago. It did not help. I will most likely be undergoing surgery for a hip arthroscopy and/or sports hernia. How long do I have to wait after the cortisone shot to have surgery to not risk infection? Also, I take 500 mg turmeric, a multivitamin, 2400 mg vi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two schools of thought regarding the risk of infection in total knee/hip replacement after local steroid injections. As the causes of infection are multifactorial, results favoring both schools of thought are seen. Since you are only undergoing arthroscopy ...  Read Full »

Should I get an MRI for hip joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, Since one month, I have been facing joint pain in my right leg and hip. I consulted a doctor at my native and he said that bone is worn-out at the joint. Again, when I consulted a doctor in my working place, he said that the cause of my pain is arthritis. The pain is not much. I am a 47 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please elaborate your problem? Which activities make the pain worse? Are you able to sit cross leg or squat down? Do you have a fever or decreased appetite or any other symptoms? Do you have any pain in other joints as well? If you have x-ray of the affected h...  Read Full »