Q. How long do I have to wait after Cortisone shot to have surgery?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a Cortisone shot 10 days ago. It did not help. I will most likely be undergoing surgery for a hip arthroscopy and/or sports hernia. How long do I have to wait after the cortisone shot to have surgery to not risk infection? Also, I take 500 mg turmeric, a multivitamin, 2400 mg vitamin D and 1200 (900 mg omega 3) mg fish oil. How long before surgery should I stop taking those supplements?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

There are two schools of thought regarding the risk of infection in total knee/hip replacement after local steroid injections. As the causes of infection are multifactorial, results favoring both schools of thought are seen. Since you are only undergoing arthroscopy or hernia repair, the duration of surgery, soft tissue handling, the absence of prosthesis all favor very low risk of infection.

You can continue turmeric, multivitamin, and fish oil until the day before your surgery. Vitamin D supplements should, however, be taken only after physician consultation and if the serum levels of vitamin D are normal, they should be discontinued. Excess Vitamin D intake can lead to hypervitaminosis D.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Should I discontinue my Vitamin D now then?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

If you have not done test for vitamin D level estimation, and have taken Vitamin D supplement for a month or two (from 2400 mg, I think you have taken over the counter supplements rather than prescribed therapeutic doses) you can safely stop them.

If you have taken the supplements for less than a month, then you can take them till your surgery as they have vitamin D only till daily required intake values and risk of hypervitaminosis is with overdosage only. Once you get operated, your further treatment can be guided by your surgeon.

These are the symptoms of hypervitaminosis D which you should be aware of:

• Fatigue.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Weight loss.
  • Excessive thirst.
  • Excessive urination.
  • Dehydration.
  • Constipation.
  • Irritability.
  • Nervousness.
  • Tinnitus.
  • Muscle weakness.
  • Nausea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Dizziness.
  • Confusion.
  • Disorientation.

It is also advisable to stop them and take them only after consultation with your doctor in case you have a chronic illness like renal disease, heart disease, hyperparathyroidism, sarcoidosis and are on medication for them. Since from your query it appears that your only symptom is hip/groin pain, there is nothing to worry about above condition in your case.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery from your planned surgery. Regards.

How to reduce the pain present in the left thigh?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 60-year-old female. I am not overweight. I exercise daily. I have episodes of enormous pain in my left thigh under the muscle. It does not look like muscle spasms. It seems to happen when I try to move my knee. It occurs mostly at night time when I am lying down or when I am sleep...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query. You can consider doing an epidural steroid injection for controlling the painful episodes. You should discuss the option with your physician for doing it. You can also have a hip joint issues. You can also consult an orthopedist for knowing t...  Read Full

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement¬†surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now