Q. How to cure the pain in my knees, hips, and spine?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am a 64-year-old female. I have attached a few images. Kindly have a look at them. I work in a garment factory as a pedal sewing machine operator for eight hours five days a week while sitting and using my leg. I would like to know the answers to the following questions :

1) Is this type of work terrible for my knee and spine?

2) Am I suffering from arthrosis on the spine and both of my knees?

3) Between Collagen type 2 and Glucosamine tablet, which one is better for me?

4) What type of food and physical activity should I avoid?

5) Should I avoid jogging, jumping, or running exercises and lifting?

6) Should I do physiotherapy for hip and knee every day or once a week is fine?

Regarding Knee -

Do I need a knee arthroplasty? What can I do and avoid to decrease so that my condition does not get worse? Should I wear a knee brace all the time? If not all the time, how often? Between Cortisone (Methylprednisolone) and Gel injection, which one will be better for me considering my age, condition, and why? What are the side effects?

Regarding Spine or Hip-

Now I have mild pain and discomfort. What can I do to avoid worsening my condition? Should I wear a back brace all the time? If not all the time, how often? Should I use any particular type of shoe and bed mattress?

Would you please share any other advice and information regarding my condition?

#

You have arthritis in your knee and spine, which considering your age, is acceptable as you are 65 years old. We cannot reverse it, but the progress may be slowed through exercises, losing weight (five percent of your current body weight), avoiding repetition, and weight-bearing exercises like skipping, running on hard grounds, etc.

Collagen and Glucosamine are of little help, and you can find out by trying out yourself, and no current consensus advises for or against it. Sitting for long periods at a stretch will not help and will worsen your spine, and back pain will get aggravated. Try and check with your occupational therapist for reassigning the workplace to suit your spine issue better.Sewing (pedal operated) per se is not bad for your knees. However, prolonged sitting will make your patellofemoral (front of your knee) pain worse.

Arthroplasty is a decision you need to discuss with your doctor, as this will be based on multiple factors and not just X-rays. If you have persistent pain and have tried other options, then TKR (total knee replacement) is an option. If you have not tried Steroid injection or HA (Hyaluronic acid), you can try either. But in the order that HA is given first and Steroid later while waiting for a TKR. In addition, understand the increased risk of infection during poor steroid injection though this too is debated. Brace use is only for a bad phase, and at other times exercise, and physiotherapy is better.

|