Common "Hirsutism" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Women with dark and coarse body hair in places where only men have hair like face, chest, neck, and back is called hirsutism. The common causes of hirsutism are polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOD), Cushing's syndrome, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, androgen-secreting tumors, and some medications (Danazol and Fluoxetine).

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can irregular periods cause unwanted hair growth and acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing irregular periods, sometimes two times a month (latest before three months) and sometimes it will skip for two or three months. I also noticed that I suddenly have hair growing on my stomach and chest. Also, I do not have hair on my legs before but now I have a few ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. According to your statement, now you are suffering from amenorrhea (absence of menstrual cycle), hirsutism (hair growth in women in the male pattern), acne (pimples-one type of acne on the back) and having no history of thyroid or hormo...  Read Full »

I have excessive body hair and obesity. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had PCOS for over a decade now. I initially saw a gynecologist who tried oral contraceptive pills, microgynon, and spironolactone. She did a battery of blood tests and ultrasounds to confirm I have the condition. A general physician prescribed Metformin a few years back. All of the...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have a 21-hydroxylase deficiency and that causes an excess of testosterone and androstenedione causing virilization of females and PCOS. This is the cause of your hirsutism and insulin resis...  Read Full »

I am experiencing acne and oily skin. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old, experiencing acne and oily skin. My periods are regular and no hirsutism. I do not use any medications. Please help. Thank you.   Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. It is common for individuals to experience acne and oily skin during adolescence and early adulthood. Here are a few strategies that may be helpful: 1. Establish a consistent skincare routine: Cleanse your face twice daily using a gentle...  Read Full »

I am a 20-year-old girl, worried about my skin as I have an uneven skin tone, hair on my face, acne marks, and oily skin. Please guide.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old girl. I have been having skin problems since the age of 15. I have very bright skin from my neck down. Only the face and arms are way darker. So my face has this dull-looking skin even when I already use a scrub, and so many skin care products and serums, etc. I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. With your description, it seems you have acne scars and hirsutism. I suggest you can apply gel Aziderm 20 percent (Azelaic acid) daily during night hours over the affected area. You may also use an anti-acne foaming fac...  Read Full »

I underwent blood tests for PCOD. Kindly review my report.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had hormonal imbalances my whole life. My menstrual cycle has never been regular. I have acne and coarse hair on my body. My gynecologist said that I have severe PCOD and referred me to an endocrinologist. He asked for some blood tests and I need an evaluation of them as he was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I just read your query about your symptoms and saw your detailed laboratory tests results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears that you have a non-classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia in which there is a partial deficiency of 21 alpha hydro...  Read Full »

I am an 18-year-old experiencing increased facial hair, enlarged pores, and frequent acne. How can I get rid of these problems?

Query: Hello doctor,My face is getting hairy on my upper lip, the side of my face, and my cheeks. At first, I thought they were blackheads, but then when I looked closer, I noticed that they were hair. As time passed, they became more noticeable. My pores are also large, and I always get acne. I am taking ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hello,Welcome to I have seen your query and understand your concern. Based on your description, it seems you may have hirsutism, which is the development of unwanted hair in a male pattern on the body. In females, this can manifest as hair growth on the chest, face, and limbs, often acc...  Read Full »

Why do I have dark hair growing around my nipples, abdomen, and belly button?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old female. I am concerned about the hair growing around my nipples. I have hair growth on the abdomen and dark hair growth around the belly button. I also have a few stray hairs growing on the neck and chest. I keep on plucking it to avoid having it. I have hair growth on...  Read Full »

Dr. Pandey Saurabh Hridaynarayan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Hairs on the body of females occur in relation to many disorders. In 2 to 4% of cases, it occurs normally and it does not occur in relation to anything. Mostly, it is caused due to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). As your periods are normal without having pain during...  Read Full »

I have excess body hair in my stomach, chest, chin, and upper lip. Should I consult the doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23-year-old female with excess body hair, which has gradually worsened over the last few years. My hair extends up to my stomach and chest. In addition, I have thick dark hairs on my chin and upper lip. The hair growth seems to have increased in the last few years. My periods ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern.Your symptoms are due to polycystic ovarian syndrome, which causes hirsutism (facial hair ), excess body hair, irregular periods (mainly amenorrhea), and acne. The other causes include medication induced (like corticosteroids). Please provid...  Read Full »

Which OCP is better for long-term use in PCOS?

Query: Hello doctor, Which OCP is better for long term use in PCOS? Krimson 35 or Crisanta 21, as my endocrinologist prescribed Krimson 35 with Glyciphage 500 twice a day for six months and my gynecologist prescribed Crisanta 21 with Glyciphage 500 twice for two years. I was very confused and started Krims...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Both Krimson 35 (Ethinyl Estradiol and Cyproterone) and Crisanta 21 (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol)are used in PCOS for long term regime. Please check if you are taking the pills at the same time or missing them? Any vomiting, diarrhea, fever in the last few days? ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for PCOS with bad skin.

Query: Hi doctor, Five years ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS. Then three years later, I started suffering with very bad skin. My skin was excessively oily and I always have spots and deep pores. Sometimes my skin has red blotches, but they are not raised and there are no heads. I seem to have controlled th...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Since you are already a diagnosed case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is known to be associated with seborrhea, acne, hirsutism and alopecia called as SAHA syndrome. But, with your history it seems that you are having only acne, which is a good prognostic m...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.