Q. Is there any surgery to eradicate hirsutism?

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

I am a 21 year old female. I have been suffering from hirsutism (due to PCOS) for about six years. I have undergone treatments like LASER (for about a year) and even consumed antiandrogens and contraceptive pills. But, nothing really worked out. It is horrible now. The growth of the hair is very thick and grows very soon. I wax once a week. I even used few creams, but again nothing gave out the results. The doctors I consulted told me to lose some weight, and trust me I am doing that. Please help me out. I want to know if there is any surgery to eradicate hirsutism. I heard laparoscopy might help. Please do write back to me. Your reply is awaited sincerely.

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Before I can answer, I would like to see some lab reports.

1. Serum testosterone.
  2. DHEAS (most sensitive to adrenals, if > 800 ug/dl suggests adrenal tumor).
  3. 17-hydroxyprogesterone.
  4. Serum prolactin.
  5. Urinary 17-ketosteroid.
  6. FSH and LH during first three days of menstrual bleed.

If you have them, please send those reports.

Revert with more information to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Thank you for your valuable reply. For now, I have few reports which I have shared with you. Please find the attachments.

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

The approach in your case has to be integrated. As you already know, weight reduction is a very important step. You can take a low-calorie diet chart and do regular exercises. Your diabetes needs to be controlled.

I usually prescribe following medications to my patients with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and hirsutism.

1. Tablet Cyproterone and Ethinylestradiol 2 mg/ 25 mcg tablet once daily for 28 days (includes 21+ 7 inert tablets).
  2. Tablet Spironolactone 100 mg PO OD from fifth to 25th day of menstrual cycle.
  3. Tablet Simvastatin 20 mg PO OD.
  4. Ointment Eflornithine 13 % (Eflora) apply on the face twice a day.

Electrolysis of hair is another option besides laser treatment.

You need to continue with treatment for a prolonged period under regular follow up with your doctor.

You can share my opinion with your treating doctor and take medications with consent.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Why is the DHEA level high and what does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 15 years old and she has high levels of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone). In the first test, it was 641 and 381 in the second test. She took her test when she had periods, normal testosterone and thyroid antibodies. She always had a deep voice and body hairs on her chest and ...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »

After starting Isotretinoin, my facial hair has increased. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am female of 25 years old. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'3". I am suffering from acne problem for the past 5 years. I tried many antibiotics. Now, I am on Isotretinoin for more than a month and it has really cleared my acne. But, my facial hair has increased. Will it become worse i...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now