Q. I got my periods before five years and I have hirsutism and acne. Is it due to PCOS?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I am a 27-year-old virgin female. I got my period five years back and then again 40 days after that and no periods after that. My prolactin was 30.8 and insulin was 10 (within range). My TSH was also normal when I got it tested. Also, I had PCOS. Ultrasound and everything are normal. I have mild hirsutism and I am having acne. My hair is becoming brittle. What should I do?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern. Your prolactin is normal and also it is a good sign that TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal.

What I did not get from your query though, was whether you have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) or it has been ruled out. Because all your symptoms match more like PCOS.

If you do have PCOS, you need to exercise regularly, modify your diet, and if required take Metformin for preventing diabetes. Since most women with PCOS get obese, have very irregular periods and also have hirsutism. If it does not get normal, then hormone replacement therapy has to be considered and also Clomiphene can be given for three to six cycles for regular ovulation.

I will advise a gynecologist opinion as soon as possible and I will also request you to send your reports to me.

|