Q. I got my periods before five years and I have hirsutism and acne. Is it due to PCOS?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I am a 27-year-old virgin female. I got my period five years back and then again 40 days after that and no periods after that. My prolactin was 30.8 and insulin was 10 (within range). My TSH was also normal when I got it tested. Also, I had PCOS. Ultrasound and everything are normal. I have mild hirsutism and I am having acne. My hair is becoming brittle. What should I do?

#

I understand your concern. Your prolactin is normal and also it is a good sign that TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is normal.

What I did not get from your query though, was whether you have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) or it has been ruled out. Because all your symptoms match more like PCOS.

If you do have PCOS, you need to exercise regularly, modify your diet, and if required take Metformin for preventing diabetes. Since most women with PCOS get obese, have very irregular periods and also have hirsutism. If it does not get normal, then hormone replacement therapy has to be considered and also Clomiphene can be given for three to six cycles for regular ovulation.

I will advise a gynecologist opinion as soon as possible and I will also request you to send your reports to me.

| 

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»

Ask an Endocrinologist Now