Q. Is negative RNA PCR test on day 12 a conclusive one?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

A month ago, I had unprotected oral sex with a CSW. On 4th day, I had severe headache and it lasted for five days and I had shaft tip pain for a day. On day 12, I had RNA PCR test and it came back negative. Also, on 12th day I carried CIMA antibody test and that too came back negative. Post the test, I unfortunately met with an accident. I had fractured and piercing wound where my blood levels are low RBC 4.3, low hemoglobin 11.0 and WBC 11.8 with neutrophils went up to 85% and lymphocytes was 10%. Post surgery, I was under medication with Augmentin, Dolo and Zycel for 10 days as I had an infection in the blood. Then, I am on medication of Shelcal and Uprise D3 (weekly once) for the last 25 days. During this time, I had a white tongue on the 4th week. I had a stiff neck for a few hours in a day during week 4 and 5 and it got cured after stopping Shelcal tablet. During the 5th and 6th week, I had white spots in the throat and have been suffering from tonsillitis. Is RNA PCR test on day 12 a conclusive one? Do white tongue, white spots on throat and stiff neck alone can be the symptoms of HIV? I do not have fever, rashes, body pain, enlarged nodes, etc. Are these symptoms related to any side effect of antibiotics or infection? Are these symptoms related to any other STI due to oral sex?

#

I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.

• RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) at 12 days is not conclusive. It is 99.5 percent sensitive.
  • I would recommend you to go for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay test - ELISA test at 12 weeks as this will be conclusive.
  • These symptoms are most likely related to the infection you developed after the accident. Though they can also be related to other STI (sexually transmitted infection), but to exclude that you need to go for throat swabs and culture.

For further information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

I am not sure whether it is sore throat or any other thing, but I have a white tongue and white spots on tonsils that are not painful. But, at the back of the throat, the voice box has a good amount of inflammation and it is painful. During my accident, I had a blood test and later, after two weeks my RBC was normocytic and hypochromic. And, platelets showed mild thrombocytosis. Do white spots on throat and voice box has any link to iron deficiency? Should HIV symptoms be felt in a combination or only one symptom enough to conclude?

#

• Iron deficiency anemia is not related to white spots on the tonsils and voice box. White dots seem to be related to some infection.
  • Usually symptoms of HIV occur in a combination. One or two symptoms can also occur though it is rare.

For further doubts consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

I just got the results of HIV ELISA 4th generation test and it came back negative on the 54th day. Is it conclusive?

#

• HIV ELISA at 54th day is 99.9 percent conclusive that you are HIV free. To be 100 percent sure, I would still recommend you to go for ELISA at 12 weeks as that will be absolutely conclusive of your HIV status.
  • I have reviewed the attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it looks normal to me apart from some glossitis and a few dots on the soft palate.
  • This is a common finding with some common non-specific viral infections. Just keep a watch on them. They should disappear in three to four days.
  • If they persist longer, then consult an ENT surgeon and get yourself evaluated, including the swab examination and culture if required.

As there were no P24 antigens generated at 54th week, which is an early marker of protein, still should I get ELISA?

#

• I would still recommend you to go for ELISA at 12 weeks.

Should I need to get the 12th week ELISA on 84th day or 90th day? If it is 84th day, then can I get this test done at 82nd day that is two days before 12th week? At 12th week, is it recommended to have a HIV antibody screening test or fourth generation test? Please suggest. I heard lots of countries declare the fourth generation test result at 6-8 weeks as conclusive. Is it true? Even my test consultant suggesting the same as I have got two sensitive tests done and both came negative.

#

• I would recommend you to go for the test at 90th day. At 12 weeks, the ELISA screening test is sufficient.
  • I am not very sure about the protocol followed in other countries. According to WHO guidelines (World Health Organization), ELISA test at 3 months is considered confirmatory as the patient is noninfected.
  • No need of further tests after that. The tests you have already conducted are 99.9 percent sensitive in detecting any HIV infection, but to be 100 percent sure you need to go for ELISA at 3 months.

|