Common "Hiv Testing" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Hiv Testing

There are different tests available to detect HIV. They may test for antibodies alone or antibodies as well as p24 antigens from blood, saliva or urine of the person. While some tests may give immediate results, some require more time, up to a few weeks.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Could I be having HIV even if my test reports are negative?

Query: Hello doctor, It has been 22 months since my last exposure to HIV. I had done the TRI-DOT test, and comb AIDS test eight months after exposure to HIV, but they were negative. However, I have been having symptoms such as slight ear pain and sore throat for the past six months. And also, I get cold ea...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. If the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibodies test is negative after three months of last exposure, it is conclusive, provided there is no further risk exposure. The attached report (attachment removed to p...  Read Full »

Is HIV-2 the reason for vitamin D deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, I tested for HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) at 91, 100, and 130 days after exposure using the CMIA (Chemiluminescent Microparticle Immuno Assay) test, and I took a final HIV-1 viral load test at 140 days and all were negative. But from 100 days after exposure, my joints were painin...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. Your HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) are negative. Any test can exclusively rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. You had done many antibodies and mo...  Read Full »

Can I be HIV positive after getting a negative result in HIV test, eight months after exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old. Recently, I have had folliculitis and am worried if it is due to any STI. I did HIV test eight months and 12 months after exposure, and the result was negative. However, the report reads,” This result does not exclude the infection with HIV virus. If the serum was...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. You are negative for HIV. The test detects HIV antibodies. Sometimes the antibody may take up to three months to be seen by standard tests. So if the test is done for months and the result is negative, you are advised to repeat the test af...  Read Full »

I took the HIV combo test on the 32nd day after exposure. Is it a fourth-generation test?

Query: Hi doctor, I took the (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) HIV-1, HIV-2, and p24 tests on the 32nd day after exposure. I am attaching the file. I want to know whether this is a fourth generation test. If yes, what are the chances that a fourth-generation test is negative on the 32nd day and will turn posi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The answers to your queries are: The test which has been performed is a fourth-generation test. This test looks for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antigens and antibodies. The test result (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) is negative. If this resu...  Read Full »

Will exposure to oral sex with a tongue sore lead to HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female individual and had a potential exposure recently when I was giving a blow job with a bump or sore on my tongue. He did not ejaculate in my mouth, and I was not sure if the bump or sore was an open wound. It was hard to see when I looked in the mirror, but I knew it hurt. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to Thank you for the query. The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by single unprotected oral sex is almost nil unless there are bleeding wounds in the oral cavity. The sore may not be a bleeding wound, as per the description. The chances o...  Read Full »

Negative HIV test, but persistent symptoms. Should I retest?

Query: Hello doctor,I had sex with different massage therapists five times this year. I used condoms every time. Last time, I had sex two months ago, and I had a few symptoms the next month. I had mouth sores, swollen lymph nodes, fever, throat pain, and diarrhea. My HIV test results came negative. I am at...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your anxiety. I appreciate that you used a condom diligently each time. From the attached images (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), the fourth generation test done at 45 days is negative and can be taken as conclusive. HIV (huma...  Read Full »

I had a negative HIV test post-sex. Do I need to retest?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex 2.5 months ago, and after one month, I had a fever and cold. I had undergone an anti-HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) test at 40 and 65 days, and both were negative. The red blood cell count is high in my CBC (CompleteBlood Count) report. After two months, I had...  Read Full »

Dr. Shah Sushma Kant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The test results (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) are negative, meaning you do not have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). There is no solution to decrease the count. No need for further tests for HIV. I sugget you go for a blood test to rule ...  Read Full »

Should I get tested for HIV if I have symptoms like diarrhea, appetite loss, and dry throat after having protected sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a query on HIV disease. Three months ago, I had sex with a girl; it was my first exposure. I had protected sex using two condoms for dual protection. The sex was incomplete as I did not release any semen. But, there was some precum which was also less. After the sex, I was abou...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. If you had sex using a condom, your chances of getting infected with HIV are very less. It is an effective method to prevent the spread of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and other STIs (sexually transmitted infections). First, you have...  Read Full »

What do non-reactive HIV screening test, rapid lateral flow test for HBsAg and rapid test for HCV antibody conclude?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected vaginal sex ten weeks ago. But I suffer from premature ejaculation, so I finished within two minutes. Following that, I got her to do a 4th generation HIV test the next day as I was freaking out from the exposure as I was not sure about her status. She did it, and it wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Do not worry. You do not have any retroviral disease at present. I have gone through your investigation reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Still, if you have queries, please feel free to ask. Serum cholesterol is on a little higher side,...  Read Full »

I got tested for HIV, and the results came back negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken a HIV test due to a recent possible exposure. The incident happened 60 days ago. So, I did a rapid HIV test. It is negative. I also did a Western blot test. HIV 1 and HIV 2 are negative, but the serum control band is present. What does it mean? Is it indicative of an HIV i...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello,Welcome to can understand your concern.It is good that the HIV rapid and Western blot tests are negative after 60 days of exposure. The chances of HIV tests coming positive later are almost negligible. But it is better to go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposu...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.