Q. Does a rough handjob resulting in wound carry a risk of HIV or any STDs?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello doctor.

Does a rough handjob with oil which resulted in a wound and some blood be a way of transmission of HIV or any STDs like herpes or HPV? After four weeks there is a black dot on the penis head but not where the wound was. It is not itchy. I am uncircumcised. Kindly help.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

For HIV to transmit there has to be some exchange of infectious fluid like either blood semen or vaginal fluids or contact with infected mucosal surfaces like genital or anal mucosa e.g., during a sexual intercourse. A handjob is absolutely safe as it does not involve an exchange of any of these infectious fluids. Skin is not infectious as the virus is fragile and does not survive on the skin or dry surface unlike genital mucosa, which is moist.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Does this mean even if I had a wound during the handjob on my penis it is still not a risk? The wound healed in about a week. As for the black dot is it an indication of any STDs like herpes or HPV? Is testing required for my exposure?

Dr. Kakkar

#

There is no risk because the virus does not survive on the skin. So even if she was HIV positive her skin would not have been a source of infection to you despite the handjob resulting in a wound. No screening test is required. As for the black spot is concerned I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area so that I am able to guide you better.

| 

I have attached the files. Kindly have a look and help me.

Dr. Kakkar

#

It is a genital lentigo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is completely benign and a normal finding in many. It is not due to any STD (sexually transmitted disease) or trauma.

| 

Thank you so much. This has really helped me. So my final inquiry. I have nothing to worry about this exposure and I do not need any testing for HIV or any STDs? So to say my risk is practically 0? I just want to move on with my life. It has been a really terrible four weeks because of constant thinking and checking. What should I do about the black spot or should I just leave it as it is? Once again thank you for helping me through this tough time.

Dr. Kakkar

#

There was no risk of acquiring any STDs including HIV, from that particular physical contact or handjob. There is no need to test. You can have a normal daily life. Genital lentiginosis is not a cause for concern and no intervention is required for it.

| 

Forgot to mention. That following days after the handjob the wound still had blood and some pus. But after a week it had healed. Does this change your assessment for transmission of HIV or any other STDs? Does HPV or genital warts spread through handjob? I met with a doctor in my country and he said the black dot might be HPV. This really scared me.

Dr. Kakkar

#

Perhaps the wound that you sustained at that time during handjob had got infected that is why it had pus. Anyways it could not have been an STD. Genital warts or HPV (human papillomavirus) infection are usually transmitted during sexual intercourse. Not through hands. The black spot on your glans is not a wart. It is a lentigo. I am sure about that.

| 

Thank you so much. When you say infected it is not by HIV or STDs right? Four days after the handjob, I had a full HIV and STD test and all was ok. Then at day 17, I had another HIV test and it to was ok. Do I need further testing or can I assume that the 17th-day test as final and just move on with my life? I am planning to get engaged next month and this thing is causing me some stress. Can I assume that handjobs regardless of wounds, cuts or blood is zero risk? And that there is no further testing needed?

Dr. Kakkar

#

By wound infection, I meant skin infection commonly, Staphylococcus aureus. Not HIV or any other STDs. Since your physical contact (handjob) was not a risk for STDs or HIV, therefore there was no need to screen. However, STD or HIV screening tests just four days after a potential risk exposure are too soon. It will not reveal anything. Also, a fourth generation HIV screening test has a window period of two to three weeks, so it is considered reliable only after three to four weeks of risk exposure. Not at 17 days. What was your HIV test? Was it a fourth generation HIV screening test? Or was it a rapid HIV screening test?

| 

It was antigen-antibody ELISA test. Not sure what generation. Do I need more test? Or can I just forget about it and move on. Is a handjob regardless of cuts, wound, and blood not a risk? I really thank you for helping me answering my questions.

Dr. Kakkar

#

If it was an antigen-antibody test that means it was a fourth generation HIV screening test. I do not think that you even needed to test because a handjob is never a risk for transmission of HIV unless infectious fluids of the person performing handjob are involved like blood, saliva or vaginal fluids which may happen e.g., if she was having her vaginal fluids on her hands or had a deep freshly bleeding cut on her hand.

Intact skin surface is not a source of infection even if the person performing handjob is infected with one or the other STDs as STI causing microbes do not survive outside the body or on dry surfaces. Considering that, even if you had a cut or wound on your penis, it does not change anything as long as she did not have any of those infectious fluids on her hands.

| 

Thank you very much. This has really calmed me down. Some further final details. The lady was fully clothed and the handjob was after a full body massage. So there is no way of fluids on her hand. But not sure if her hand had any cuts. Would it be a risk if she had cuts on her hand? Can I resume normal unprotected intercourse with my fiancee? Thank you very much. I really appreciate everything.

Dr. Kakkar

#

Even if she had a cut on her hand but if that was not actively bleeding at that time, it is not an issue. If there had been a bleeding cut certainly you would have noticed some blood on her hands or on your body. Yes, of course, you can have sexual contact with your long-term partner.

| 
Hello doctor. About the handjob wound. I had an Elisa ab/ag test at 5 weeks and 4 days. It was negative. Is this conclusive or do i need another test at 12 weeks?

Dr. Kakkar

# Hi.
An Elisa for ab/ag becomes positive by 18-45 days after a risk exposure. By 4 weeks it is positive in 99% of those infected. So, at 5 weeks and 4 days, your test is fairly reliable.
You anyways didn't need to screen for HIV considering the nature of exposure.

Take care

| 
Thank you doctor. I was just worried because there was a wound and i read that mucous membrane on the penis is a route for transmission. Thats what worried me doctor.
I talked to my doctor and he said there is no need for further test and my test can be considered conclusive because there was no penetration. So doctor sorry to bother you with a last question. Can i consider my results conclusive and that i do not need andy further tests? I would really like your opinion and would really like to move on with my life.

Dr. Kakkar

Miscarriage
This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»