Q. Which test can be used to test HIV after having sex using two condoms?

Dr. Hitesh Sharma

I had sex four months back with using two condoms at a time and later I realized that using two condoms at a time is not safe. So, I have taken HIV tridot test two months back and fourth generation test last month and again tridot test this month. All are negative. So should I need to test again or these are enough? What is the window period for HIV fourth generation test? What is the window period for HIV tridot test?

#

I will try to solve your query so that all your doubts are cleared.

First, to get infected with HIV first your partner needs to be HIV positive. The chances of your partner being HIV positive depends on the type of partner. If your partner is a commercial sex worker the chances are increased as compared to others.

Secondly, the use of any protection. If you are using condom definitely chances are lower. Thirdly, if there is a contact of your blood or fluid with the partners fluid. This means if you have any injuries prior or during sex and your blood get mixed with partners blood, there are higher chances. Lastly, even when all the previous points get fulfilled there my be a chance that you might not get infected.

So by your explanation, you are at a lesser risk.

Coming to your last queries. Tridot test has a window period of three months, that is, it gives HIV status of three months from present and not recent three months and fourth generation test has a window period of four weeks. So going by the chronology of events you are quite safe. I hope it solves your queries and I hope you become a little relaxed now. If you still have doubt I am always there to help you. I am also enabling a free query in case you need to speak to me again.

So, I have taken a fourth generation test after eight weeks now and that was negative. So is that conclusive?

#

Going by the literature, if you had exposure 12 weeks before the test, then it is conclusive. If it is eight weeks prior to the repeat the 4th generation test now and if it is negative, then you are safe to a very high degree. But going by your explanation the chances of infection are very very low and most probably this test which you definitely need to undergo will come out to be negative.

|