Q. I have hives and my feet, hands, and lips are swollen. Is it a reaction to my dye?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have hives along with swollen feet, hands, and lips. Hives are itching. I took tablet Claritin and Prednisone for my hives. I am already taking tablet Abilify and Topamax, and I have dyed my hair recently. I guess these are the two possible causes for my hives. Which do you think would be the cause, or how can I find out definitively?

Kindly help.

#

Since when have you been taking these medicines? Have the hives occurred before? Are they reducing with tablet Claritin (Loratadine) and the Steroid? We may have to do a skin prick allergy testing or a comprehensive blood allergy profile, including all the possible allergens, especially contact, surface, food, and aeroallergens, to arrive at a definite diagnosis.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I am taking tablet Abilify for past three months. This is the first time I am having hives. My hives occured ten days ago. They are reducing with Claritin and Steroid.

Thanks.

#

In that case, I feel the hair dye could be the possible cause. Please note the brand of your hair dye and its ingredients. Try and check if you have used the same product before. A comprehensive allergy profile is needed if the problem is recurrent. Otherwise, we can avoid the particular dye causing it and proceed. I do not think the medicine causes it; if so, the hives would have appeared within a few days of starting it.

Thanks.

|