Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a recurring swelling near my testicle. Can it be a hydrocele?

Answered by
Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2017

Hello doctor,

A few days back, I observed a lump or swelling near my left testicle. It had also appeared two years back and I had consulted a doctor and after a USG, he suggested that it will disappear by itself without medication. I have not observed anything like that in the previous two years. Now, I am seeing it again. The findings of the ultrasound of the scrotum from two years ago read as follows. 'Both the testes are normal in size, shape and echo texture. No focal lesions noted. Both epididymi are normal in size, shape and echo texture. No focal lesions noted. Evidence of minimal hydrocele noted on left side. Pampiniform plexus of veins are normal on both sides. Testicular arteries appear normal. Impression: minimal left hydrocele.' Please comment the reasons, risk, and advise treatment.

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology


Welcome to

I went through your query.

  • If it was just a hydrocele as reported on your USG, then you need not worry.
  • However, I would suggest you repeat the USG scrotum to confirm because these were done two years ago and it is good to monitor it since it has recurred.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Can you please explain in detail.

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology


Welcome back to

  • A hydrocele is a collection of fluid in tunica vaginalis or along the spermatic cord in the scrotum. It is a benign condition with potentially no risk of malignancy.
  • However, a thorough clinical examination and ultrasonogram of the scrotum are mandatory to confirm that it is an isolated hydrocele because it could be secondary to an obstruction of venous outflow.
  • A small hydrocele needs no treatment unless there is an infection or if it is decreasing the sperm count.
  • I would suggest repeating the ultrasonogram scrotum and get a clinical examination done to be sure that it is an isolated hydrocele.

I hope you are satisfied with the answer. Regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why is there pain in scrotum and testis if masturbation or sex is not done?
I have enlarged right testicle. Please guide.
I have dull testicle pain and intermittent stomach pain. What could it be?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why is my scrotum leathery and itchy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I had severe itching on my scrotum for the last one month or so. This issue first began before three years and has been on and off since then. I have tried several combinations of medicines, including Itraconazole, Terbinafine, Levocetirizine, etc., but only wit...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for epididymo-orchitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 32 year old male. Is surgery mandatory for epididymo-orchitis, with impression hydrocele and internal septations?  Read Full »

Is an ultrasound not essential to detect the cause of lump in testicle?

Query: Hello doctor, My 24 year old son discovered a small lump in his testicle about a month ago. He saw a urologist immediately who did a physical exam, drew some blood and took a urine specimen. He said that the lump was located on the back of the testicle and most likely a benign cyst. We had a follow...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.