Q. I have a recurring swelling near my testicle. Can it be a hydrocele?

A few days back, I observed a lump or swelling near my left testicle. It had also appeared two years back and I had consulted a doctor and after a USG, he suggested that it will disappear by itself without medication. I have not observed anything like that in the previous two years. Now, I am seeing it again. The findings of the ultrasound of the scrotum from two years ago read as follows. 'Both the testes are normal in size, shape and echo texture. No focal lesions noted. Both epididymi are normal in size, shape and echo texture. No focal lesions noted. Evidence of minimal hydrocele noted on left side. Pampiniform plexus of veins are normal on both sides. Testicular arteries appear normal. Impression: minimal left hydrocele.' Please comment the reasons, risk, and advise treatment.

#

I went through your query.

• If it was just a hydrocele as reported on your USG, then you need not worry.
  • However, I would suggest you repeat the USG scrotum to confirm because these were done two years ago and it is good to monitor it since it has recurred.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can you please explain in detail.

#

• A hydrocele is a collection of fluid in tunica vaginalis or along the spermatic cord in the scrotum. It is a benign condition with potentially no risk of malignancy.
  • However, a thorough clinical examination and ultrasonogram of the scrotum are mandatory to confirm that it is an isolated hydrocele because it could be secondary to an obstruction of venous outflow.
  • A small hydrocele needs no treatment unless there is an infection or if it is decreasing the sperm count.
  • I would suggest repeating the ultrasonogram scrotum and get a clinical examination done to be sure that it is an isolated hydrocele.

I hope you are satisfied with the answer. Regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|