Q. I have swelling even after aspiration of fluid from the scrotum after hydrocelectomy. Why?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Thirty days ago, I had a double hydrocelectomy. After surgery, there was a lot of swelling, which was slow to do down, and then suddenly, three weeks out, it quickly went up. Following an ultrasound, my scrotum was aspirated, draining off 520 ml of fluid. Two days later, it is once again very swollen. What needs to be done now? Kindly help me.

#

Swelling and fluid indicate fluid leaking from the tummy down through the inguinal canal to the scrotum. Hydrocele can be non-communicating, which can be treated by classical hydrocelectomy, but the communicating type should have ligation of the patent vaginalis at the inguinal canal.

In your case, I think the processus vaginalis are not lighted, and fluid accumulates in the scrotum again. Treatment is by exploring both inguinal canals and ligation of processus vaginalis.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Does this involve surgery? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Yes, revision needs surgery on both inguinal areas to separate the processus vaginalis from the spermatic cord and ligate it. I hope this was helpful.

|