Q. The color and shape of a mole on my leg have changed. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I have had this mole on my leg since I was a teenager, and I am 31 years old now. I remember it being lighter in color and more oval, whereas now it is more of a triangle with darker pigmentation and two shades of brown. I measured it, and it is about 4 mm in width. I have an olive skin tone and never used a tanning bed. Though at times, I have not used sunscreen, and have had sunburn, but never blistering from what I can recall. I have attached a picture.

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Melanocytic nevus is basically tan, brown macules with increased melanocytic activity. One should always look for following changes for melanocytic nevus:

1. Change in color and irregular surface.
  2. An increase in the size of the lesion.
  3. Irregular margins.
  4. Inflammation.
  5. Bleeding, crusting, and oozing.

There are types of melanocytic nevus. These are basically benign growth, but there can be a chance of malignant transformation. The exact incidence is not known.

Since there is a change in the size, shape, and color of nevus, I would suggest you consider skin biopsy test. Or complete excision for aesthetic purpose.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|