Hydroxyurea Therapy

What does my hemoglobin variant analysis test indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 5'3", and I weigh 69 kg. Recently, I had a health checkup. Please check the attached reports and advise me if any treatment is required. The hemoglobin variant analysis test is showing hemoglobin A 68.6 and hemoglobin S 29.6. Please let me know wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports, my opinion is as follows: (attachment removed to protect patient identity) Increased HbS with reduced HbA at this age suggests possible sickle cell trait disease. Most important evaluation is the possibility of the transfer of ...  Read Full »

Can I take Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I have been diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia. The reasons are elevated platelet count (about 700,000 to 900,000 platelets per microliter of blood), positive JAK2 V617F mutation analysis, etc. There are different opinions coming from doctors in my country. Av...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation through which you are going. I have reviewed your query and below is my advice for your case. Usually, in case of essential thrombocythemia, there is no need to undergo treatment with Hydroxyurea in all case of ET. It is myeloprolifera...  Read Full »

Does high Hb, hematocrit, and platelet count mean polycythemia?

Query: Hello doctor, My platelets have been high for the past few years without my knowledge (as no doctor ever mentioned it) but just recently I saw my cardiologist and he requested a blood test and my platelets were 619 and he referred me to a hematologist who in turn prescribed Hydroxyurea 500 mg. (My ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and here is my advise. In last two reports, particularly your Hb (hemoglobin), hematocrit, and platelet counts are high. So, it is suggestive of polycythemia or myeloproliferative like conditio...  Read Full »

Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your hemoglobin value is high and needs to be investigated. Let me know if your hematocrit values were checked. If it is high as well, the condition is polycythemia. The cause for polycythemia may be secondary to chronic hypoxia due to a chronic heart failure...  Read Full »

From the attached investigations, kindly explain the condition of the patient.

Query: Hi doctor, The patient was admitted due to eight episodes of hematemesis, weight loss and loss of appetite since last six months. It was accompanied by bone pain, abdominal pain, abdominal distension, jaundice, vomiting, altered bowel habit, fever, shortness of breath, decrease urine output or al...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had undergone the patient's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all, the patient has a tear in esophageal mucosa because of which bleeding occurred. To prevent bleeding, I suggest vasoconstrictor agent, adrenaline injection in the mucos...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion for polycythemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic smoking can lead to heart failure, chronic lung disease, etc., and hence, polycythemia occurs. It is called secondary polycythemia. With the treatment, the prognosis is good in secondary polycythemia. But, polycythemia can occur as primary polycythemia as well, an...  Read Full »