Q. Is it advisable to take Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia?

I am 25 years old. I have been diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia. The reasons are elevated platelet count (about 700,000 to 900,000 platelets per microliter of blood), positive JAK2 V617F mutation analysis, etc. There are different opinions coming from doctors in my country. Avoiding details, some advice me to take Hydroxyurea, some say that Hydroxyurea is unacceptable for guys of my age because of hard side effects and advise me to take Interferon alpha. Some say that I should not take any medicines and exclude disaggregates and I should just monitor platelets count to be lower than 1,000,000 and some other indicators. Kindly advise.

Hematology Pathology
#

I can understand your situation through which you are going. I have reviewed your query and below is my advice for your case. Usually, in case of essential thrombocythemia, there is no need to undergo treatment with Hydroxyurea in all case of ET. It is myeloproliferative neoplasm and the chance of acute myeloid leukemia is less in such case. In young age group people usually there is no need for starting Hydroxyurea. You need to check your blood pressure, sugar level and cholesterol value to decide further regarding treatment. It is advisable to maintain a healthy lifestyle and take more green leafy vegetables. Regular exercise advisable in such case to prevent clot formation. The smoking should be avoided strictly. In such high platelet count to reduce clot formation in the blood, you may need to given Aspirin in a low dose which you are taking. You can continue Aspirin and maintain a healthylifestyle with active exercise.

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Ask a Hematologist Now