Q. I have done hemoglobin variant analysis. Please let me know what does it indicate.

Answered by
Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 38 year old male. My height is 5'3", and I weigh 69 kg. Recently, I had a health checkup. Please check the attached reports and advise me if any treatment is required. The hemoglobin variant analysis test is showing hemoglobin A 68.6 and hemoglobin S 29.6. Please let me know what does this indicate.



Welcome to

Based on your query and attached reports, my opinion is as follows: (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Increased HbS with reduced HbA at this age suggests possible sickle cell trait disease. Most important evaluation is the possibility of the transfer of this to the next generation, to your kids. Hence, evaluation is necessary. As a complete workup has been done, no anomaly is detected and there is no organ damage at present.

Nutritional anemia is additionally present. Iron supplements, vitamin B12, and folic acid supplements are necessary. Anemia correction is necessary. If there are any complications in future, hydroxyurea therapy may need to be started. Vaccination against Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and hepatitis B is necessary.

Thank you doctor,

Please let me know whether I can go for vaccination now. Also guide me regarding the type of food I need to avoid or I need to take. Do I have to undergo any other tests?



Welcome back to

Yes, you can go for vaccination now. Do complete the schedule and also follow up with the future vaccination schedules regularly. It is not necessary to avoid any food at present. If in future, if any medications to avoid the risk of thrombosis are started, then food habit has to be looked into. As for now, there is nothing to worry about food.

Hemoglobin estimation is necessary. Improvement in nutrition and nutritional supplementsare necessary. If hemoglobin is still low, then serum iron levels, vitamin B12, and folic acid levels estimation may also be necessary. Close relatives related by blood may require electrophoresis for evaluation of sickle cell disease/trait.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have done hemoglobin variant analysis.Please let me know what does it indicate.

Iron supplements, vitamin B12, and folic acid supplements are necessary ... If hemoglobin is still low, then serum iron levels, vitamin B12 and folic acid levels estimation may also be necessary ...   Read full

Is it advisable to take Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia?

.. understand your situation through which you are going. I have reviewed your query and below is my advice for your case. Usually, in case of essential thrombocythemia, there is no need to undergo treatment with Hydroxyurea in all case of ET. It is ...   Read full

Methemoglobinemia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Higher than 50 % - Seizure, hypoxia, coma, and metabolic acidosis ... DNA Sequencing: It is the process in which determining the nucleic acid sequence is done ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.