Q. I have done hemoglobin variant analysis. Please let me know what does it indicate.

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2019

I am a 38 year old male. My height is 5'3", and I weigh 69 kg. Recently, I had a health checkup. Please check the attached reports and advise me if any treatment is required. The hemoglobin variant analysis test is showing hemoglobin A 68.6 and hemoglobin S 29.6. Please let me know what does this indicate.

#

Based on your query and attached reports, my opinion is as follows: (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Increased HbS with reduced HbA at this age suggests possible sickle cell trait disease. Most important evaluation is the possibility of the transfer of this to the next generation, to your kids. Hence, evaluation is necessary. As a complete workup has been done, no anomaly is detected and there is no organ damage at present.

Nutritional anemia is additionally present. Iron supplements, vitamin B12, and folic acid supplements are necessary. Anemia correction is necessary. If there are any complications in future, hydroxyurea therapy may need to be started. Vaccination against Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and hepatitis B is necessary.

Please let me know whether I can go for vaccination now. Also guide me regarding the type of food I need to avoid or I need to take. Do I have to undergo any other tests?

#

Welcome back to iclinq.com.

Yes, you can go for vaccination now. Do complete the schedule and also follow up with the future vaccination schedules regularly. It is not necessary to avoid any food at present. If in future, if any medications to avoid the risk of thrombosis are started, then food habit has to be looked into. As for now, there is nothing to worry about food.

Hemoglobin estimation is necessary. Improvement in nutrition and nutritional supplementsare necessary. If hemoglobin is still low, then serum iron levels, vitamin B12, and folic acid levels estimation may also be necessary. Close relatives related by blood may require electrophoresis for evaluation of sickle cell disease/trait.

|