Q. I have done hemoglobin variant analysis. Please let me know what does it indicate.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Jun 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2019

I am a 38 year old male. My height is 5'3", and I weigh 69 kg. Recently, I had a health checkup. Please check the attached reports and advise me if any treatment is required. The hemoglobin variant analysis test is showing hemoglobin A 68.6 and hemoglobin S 29.6. Please let me know what does this indicate.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached reports, my opinion is as follows: (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Increased HbS with reduced HbA at this age suggests possible sickle cell trait disease. Most important evaluation is the possibility of the transfer of this to the next generation, to your kids. Hence, evaluation is necessary. As a complete workup has been done, no anomaly is detected and there is no organ damage at present.

Nutritional anemia is additionally present. Iron supplements, vitamin B12, and folic acid supplements are necessary. Anemia correction is necessary. If there are any complications in future, hydroxyurea therapy may need to be started. Vaccination against Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and hepatitis B is necessary.

Please let me know whether I can go for vaccination now. Also guide me regarding the type of food I need to avoid or I need to take. Do I have to undergo any other tests?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome back to iclinq.com.

Yes, you can go for vaccination now. Do complete the schedule and also follow up with the future vaccination schedules regularly. It is not necessary to avoid any food at present. If in future, if any medications to avoid the risk of thrombosis are started, then food habit has to be looked into. As for now, there is nothing to worry about food.

Hemoglobin estimation is necessary. Improvement in nutrition and nutritional supplementsare necessary. If hemoglobin is still low, then serum iron levels, vitamin B12, and folic acid levels estimation may also be necessary. Close relatives related by blood may require electrophoresis for evaluation of sickle cell disease/trait.

How can I make my little child eat well?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2-year-old boy does not eat food and does not drink milk. I am very worried. Can you kindly suggest me right treatment to solve this problem?  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kids disliking food or milk is a very strange state. This usually it happens due to faulty weaning practices. I suggest the following: Check his weight. Is he losing weight? Weight loss needs to be evaluated with blood tests like haemoglobin. Worm infes...  Read Full

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. You need not worry or be anxious about it. Although absorption of Folate may be disturbed because of your Crohns, taking 400 mcg for four months will be good enough. Meaning, you are not deficient from it from the very start but since you are ...  Read Full

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking supplements regularly then either you do not have iron deficiency anemia, or you are having ongoing blood loss either in periods or stools. The first thing is to get peripheral smear test, and serum iron studies were done. It will let us know whether yo...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now