Q. I have raised white lines in my mouth that I can scrape. Is it leukoplakia?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Oct 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I went to the ENT for a sore throat. He ended up saying I have leukoplakia. It is mainly in the gap where I am missing the tooth. He said it was in other areas around my lower gum but it pretty much wiped off of there. I then went to my dentist who said it was not leukoplakia. I then went to an oral surgeon who also does not believe it is, but says if it is not gone, to get a biopsy. I just wanted your opinion because you have always been right with the oral problems I had. Some of the white lines are raised and hard, but some I was able to scrape off with my fingernail. I also noticed a red spot. So, I am hoping it is not speckled leukoplakia. I did get a VELscope done which was fine. I have an appointment for a brush biopsy but that says not 100 percent. Do you think I should get the brush done or wait to have a real one because the brush biopsy removes the leukoplakia and then it will not be there to get a real one? In the meantime, before biopsies, what is your opinion? Do you think it is specked or regular leukoplakia? A picture is attached.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is not at all a type of leukoplakia as seen in the picture. But, if you are a smoker, then I would recommend you stop smoking.
  • It seems to be just hyperkeratinization of the oral mucosa which can be due to various reasons, like hot food, fever, smoking or a sore throat.
  • I suggest you take Vitamin B complex capsules once daily for 15 days.
  • For a sore throat, salt water gargling is good.
  • I do not think a brush biopsy will be helpful.
  • Since when have you noticed this whitish patch in that area? Is there any other symptom like burning sensation?

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Thank you doctor,

I have had it for a few months. I just assumed that when I chewed some potato chips, it just irritated the area as there is no tooth there. Here are a few pictures when I first went to a doctor before I just scraped most of it off with my fingernail and a picture of how it looked when I scraped most off. Do you still think it is alright even if always like that from chewing

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

I have seen the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Although the whitish streaks look a little odd, I still do not believe it is something to be worried about for now.
  • It seems to be related to your smoking and may even be an emerging leukoplakia.
  • It is advised that you do not scrape the area as it may result in a more thickened epithelial growth.
  • You should stop smoking, and apply an oral steroid gel to the area so that it goes away.

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency result in unbalancing while walking?

Query: Hi doctor, Three years back, I had the problem of unbalancing while walking. I never felt any dizziness or spinning of head. I just had a feeling that I will fall down. I consulted a doctor and he told me that it was due to vitamin B12 deficiency and also prescribed me few shots of Vitcofol. Initial...  Read Full »

Can you suggest a skin whitening cream that does not contain steroids?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female. My skin appears very dull. Can you suggest a whitening cream that does not contain steroid, which I can use on a regular basis?  Read Full »