Q. Increased dose for hyperthyroidism end up causing hypothyroidism. What to do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am a 52-year-old female. I have an underactive thyroid condition. I had nuclear medicine a few years ago and had been going for regular checkups but recently due to some reasons, my TSH level had increased. So I was given a dosage of 150 mcg of Thyronorm. My check-up was due four months but due to some circumstances I could not go and I went two months late. The doctor told me I had an overdose of it. So he asked me to continue only with 100 mcg. I was wondering if I would feel better if I skip the medicines for two days because it is making me feel tired a lot and weak, too.

#

I just read your query and from what you mentioned it appears you had hyperthyroidism which was treated with radioactive iodine and now you are hypothyroid.

Well, it is perfectly normal phenomena, after radioactive iodine ablation of the thyroid gland we usually expect patients to be hypothyroid. In your case, it just took so long to develop. You should have gotten your thyroid function test done at that time but nonetheless your dose has been reduced so it is perfectly fine.

You feel tired because of the excess 50 mcg which you had been taking until now. Anyways give it some time and it will settle down. No, it is not going to be dangerous. Just regularly do your thyroid function test every three months until it stabilizes.

|