Hyperthyroidism

How to diagnose stomach problems?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had roti with spinach, which is home made. Today morning, I experienced a stomach bout, but not watery. Should I take a combination of antibiotics Ridol and Ulticept 500 mg along with Metrogyl and Eldoper? I am still feeling uneasy. Please guide me on this. Every 20 days, I...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I was trying to understand your blood work. Is your TSH 14 and HbA1c 7%? The reason why I am concerned about these tests is because hyperthyroidism can cause recurrent diarrhea and if your HbA1c (diabetes) number is high it can also cause diarrhea. You can use the Rido...  Read Full »

Though I take Fertisure and Ovabless regularly, it is not helping me to conceive. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am trying to conceive for the last 2.5 years but not successful. I was on Fertisure F and Ovabless for six months and discontinued because I did not see any results and I am diagonsed with PCOS. I am now on Carbimazole 5 mg for hyperthyroidism.  Read Full »

Dr. Lorena Zijaj

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and also hyperthyroidism can cause infertility. I saw your examination (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels is normal. The medication you have taken are only supplements. If you...  Read Full »

Will taking PTU for hyperthyroidism during pregnancy cause any complication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I have a problem with hyperthyroidism during my pregnancy. I am in my fourth month of pregnancy with TSH- 0.07, T4- 161, T3- 2.34. What are the complications with this? Is it good for me to take PTU.  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy is usually treated with Propylthiouracil 50-100 mg/day. Generally, treatment is withdrawn four weeks prior to delivery after which normal doses may be resumed. Your hormone levels are still very high, you need to increase your dose. Pregnan...  Read Full »

What are the causes of panic attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are fine. Sometimes, I am having multiple panic attacks in a day and also...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For panic attacks and persistent anxiety, there is a need to get a medical checkup done. Hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues like angina, etc., could cause increased risk of panic attacks. So, if the panic attacks are persistent, then get one ECG done to rule out heart cause...  Read Full »

What are the causes of hyperhidrosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 15 year old boy and I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat so much. My shirt cannot stay on for at least 5 minutes. In some half an hour to one hour my whole shirt and armpit area will drench in sweat. Yes, I take a shower twice a day and put deodorant every day. I have even tried the anti...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating could be due to endocrine or hormone related issues. I have explained the causes below. Hyperthyroidism - A simple, non-fasting blood test called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) will help in diagnosing this problem. Acromegaly - Ano...  Read Full »

Why can I not gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 60 year old male. My height is 5'9" and my weight 150 lbs. Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago at 140 lbs weight. I went on with Metformin 2 x 1000 mg per day. It worked well for a while, but not good enough. Then I opted Insulin and gained some weight of about 4 lbs, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important point to remember is that diabetes is a well known cause of weight loss. I would also suggest to obtain age appropriate cancer screening, which would be a prostate exam plus PSA (prostate specific antigen) and colonoscopy in your case. I want to high...  Read Full »

I take 150 mcg Thyroxine and feel tired. Will dose reduction meet the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52-year-old female. I have an underactive thyroid condition. I had nuclear medicine a few years ago and had been going for regular checkups but recently due to some reasons, my TSH level had increased. So I was given a dosage of 150 mcg of Thyronorm. My check-up was due four mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you mentioned it appears you had hyperthyroidism which was treated with radioactive iodine and now you are hypothyroid. Well, it is perfectly normal phenomena, after radioactive iodine ablation of the thyroid gland we usually expect...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for hyperhidrosis.

Query: Hi doctor, I believe that I have extreme hyperhidrosis. My entire body sweats profusely when I experience even the slightest change in temperature, start exercising and even when I am simply resting. My back, armpits, forehead, and buttock sweat the worst and this affects my entire body. It has prev...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and can well understand your concern. For hyperhidrosis, it is important to rule out causes like anxiety and hyperthyroidism. Other causes may also be present. For this you may visit a physician to get adequately examined and tested. There are var...  Read Full »

What is the most recommended treatment for Graves' disease, surgery or radio-iodine?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 19 years old and has been diagnosed with Graves' disease. He had it for nine months. He is now on 2.5 mg of Methimazole and his TSH, T3, T4 are stable. I know the disease never goes away but he is a college athlete and we need his energy back and more stable environment h...  Read Full »

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest radio ablation is the better option if he is a non-smoker, if he has no eye signs, and if the gland is not very large. As far as your worries are concerned, 1. Fertility is no question. Yes, we suggest avoiding a baby for six months, but your son ...  Read Full »

Is fenugreek good for a thyroid patient?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 23 year old unmarried female. I am suffering from thyroid disorder since three years. I am unable to gain weight. My weight is 42 since seven years. My TSH level is always normal, either 3 or 2 or 4. When I visited my doctor, he said the thyroid function is fine and no need to worr...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Patients with hypothyroidism usually gain weight. Your issue is weight loss which is seen in hyperthyroidism. As your thyroid TSH is in the normal range,  you can continue the same treatment. For gaining weight, you need to take food which is adequate that is, it should...  Read Full »