Common "Hyperthyroidism" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Hyperthyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland produces excess thyroid hormones. In this condition, our body metabolism gets increased, and it results in weight loss, sweating, and irregular heartbeats. This condition is treated by medications, and sometimes surgery is required.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I sweat every night. Why so?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old with no heart problems, not taking any medications, no known inflammation, no abnormal body temperature, no allergies ever. Overnight, I only sleep 3 and a half hours maximum, and when I wake up my t-shirt is all wet like I was running a marathon. My eyes are red in th...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Increased sweating without any predisposing factors such as cardiac problems or any medication-overuse, but associated with eyed issues, can be a sign of increased thyroid gland activity known as hyperthyroidism. Associated symptoms include increased appetite, loss of ...  Read Full »

I have low TSH levels. Will taking Propylthiouracil help?

Query: Hello doctor,Seven years back, I had done my thyroid profile. My TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels were low at 0.005 mU/L, free T3 (tri-iodothyronine) 4.45 pg/mL, and free T4 (thyroxine) 1.83 ng/dL. I have no symptoms of any hyperthyroidism, and I feel fine. I did my thyroid scan with a 99m T...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read the query, and I can understand your concern. You have sub-clinical hyperthyroidism since neither your T3 nor T4 levels are increased. You said you do not having any hyperthyroidism symptoms, like a rapid heartbeat, weight loss, irregular periods, etc. ...  Read Full »

My mother is under medication for thyroid and has neck, shoulder pain and tremors. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, This is about my mother she is 50 in age and had been diagnosed with thyroid around two years back after that she started taking medicine Thyroxine Sodium tablet 50mg, and after few months it was in control but that a year again while she was still on thyroid medicine she had started ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara. P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Well, among thyroid problem, it is the hyperthyroidism that causes tremors, but your mother has hypothyroidism. It could still be due to thyroid medications if the dose is very high. Even in that case, the tremors would be on both sides and not restricted to one side...  Read Full »

I suffer from hyperthyroidism. Will taking Synthroid help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old woman, and I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and it is so stressful. I cannot seem to find relief from anxiety, rapid heartbeat, and sudden weight loss. I read a few journals online about Synthroid, which is utilized for thyroid issues. However, I am unsur...  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query, and I can understand your concern. Synthroid is a brand name for Levothyroxine, a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone Thyroxine (T4). It is primarily used to treat hypothyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough...  Read Full »

I would like to know how I can regulate my menstruation. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to know how I can regulate my menstruation. I have been irregular since then, and I had a history of hyperthyroidism in the past. I usually skip one or two months of not getting a period, but recently, it has been more than three months. I already got pregnancy tests, and tur...  Read Full »

Dr. Faiza Memon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. We need first to find out the cause of irregular periods for the regularisation of periods. For that, I would like you to go for blood beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin). If it comes out to be negative, then you should go for withd...  Read Full »

I delivered recently. Should I reduce Thyronorm strength?

Query: Hi doctor, I found that I had hypothyroidism 20 years ago. I delivered a baby girl four months ago. During that time, I was having 112.5 mcg of Thyronom daily. I was 174 lbs before delivery and I am currently 147.7 lbs. I have severe hair loss and my skin is extremely dry. I feel extremely low some ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, I suggest you lower your thyroid medication as your labs (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) reveal you are now hyperthyroid and this may be contributing to some hair loss (in addition to pregnancy). I would suggest 88 mcg daily and repeat ano...  Read Full »

Blood pressure seems unusually high in 4 year old. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a nephew who is four and a half years old. He is quite active as a child with a normal height and weight according to his age. Two days back we happened to measure his blood pressure at home normally. We were quite taken aback as it was 144/100 and later also it was around 130/9...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to A blood pressure of 120/80 is definitely very high for a child of 4 years and 6 months. There are various causes for increased blood pressure at this age like renal parenchymal disease, COA (coarctation of the aorta), renal artery stenosis, endocrine causes like hyperth...  Read Full »

I am suspecting of having Hashimoto's disease. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old female. Seven years ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I took medicines and my thyroid hormones got normal. After that, I stopped taking medicines. Everything was fine for two to three years. But after some time, I came across symptoms like weight loss, anxie...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. I would suggest that you have a wait and watch approach. I would recommend that you just keep checking your thyroid function test results every six weeks as o...  Read Full »

I have Hashimoto's. How can I correct my thyroid levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and maintained on NDT. All the tests are within the normal range although borderline till now. My result shows extremely low TSH 0.036 µIU/mLand FT4 of 0.28 ng/dL and extremely high FT3 of 11 ng/dL. My cortisol and ACTH are also extremely l...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your answer is present in your question itself. Your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is extremely low and hence it would mean hyperthyroidism. However, radioactive thyroxine uptake is a test that would be better to be performed to check the performance of the gland. Als...  Read Full »

I am having bulging eye problem for a year. Please help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing bulging eye problem for a year. I am not able to sleep at night due to watery eyes. I went to the doctor, and he did an MRI and found that my eye muscles have enlarged. He gave the treatment for three months, but there was no benefit. He gave me Solu Medrol 500 mg then 250 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The condition you have described is called proptosis. The most common cause of proptosis is thyroid abnormality (hyperthyroidism) and called thyroid eye disease (TED). In this condition, eye muscle gets enlarged due to GAG (glycosaminoglycans) material deposition. Th...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.