Q. How to get rid of a small bulge of extra skin on my thumb?

Answered by
Dr. Suvash Sahu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My thumb got burned two years back, it used to peel off and I used to keep biting and peeling it further. Now it has formed a small bulge of extra skin. Can I get rid of it?



Welcome to

I have read your concern.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Thank you for your reply. Please find the attached pictures of the scar on my thumb. Though it is small and not irritating, but I need a solution to get rid of it as soon as possible. It looks horrible.



Welcome back to

I have read your query, and I have see the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • It seems you have developed hypertrophic burn scars. I suggest you try using Contractubex gel (combination of Cepalin, Heparin, and Allantoin) twice daily, after 3 to 4 doses of injection Kenacort (Triamcinolone acetonide) 40 mg/mL, once in three weeks interval. It will give you a permanent solution.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start using the medicines after their consent.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online -->

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your suggestion. Where do you think I can get this injection? Where is the injection given? On the wound? There is no pain at the affected area. Do you think these injections will get it back to normal?



Welcome back to

  • Yes, it is given over the hypertrophic scar. You should visit a nearby dermatologist for this treatment.

For more information consult a dermatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
The painless bump on my eyelid has not disappeared even with warm compresses. What to do?

.. a recurrent chalazion, you can take an injection of Triamcinolone and it is a good option. Repeated surgical removal causes damage to the tissues. You need to consult an ophthalmologist to have an injection if it bothers you cosmetically. A small ...   Read full

How to get rid of a small bulge of extra skin on my thumb?

.. read your concern. It seems you have developed hypertrophic scar or lichen simplex chronicus. Please attach a picture for better evaluation and best possible treatment. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> .. ...   Read full

Please tell me the treatment to remove scar on my face.

.. seen your query and concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With your descriptions and given picture, it seems you have a hypertrophic scar (raised scar due to excess collagen deposits). If you will not ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.