Q. My mom gets hyper for no reason. What could be the cause?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Published on Jul 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother gets hyper for no reason. She keeps repeating things over and over again. She gets too upset easily. She has a high blood pressure, thyroid problems, as well as migraine. But, she takes medicines only for her thyroid issues. Can you tell me what she should do?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Symptoms you described could be part of a depressive disorder. It is difficult to confirm with out knowing more details.

1. What is her age?
  2. Is she under any kind of stress?
  3. Since when do you observe these behavioral changes?
  4. How is her sleep?
  5. Is she dull most of the times?
  6. How is her self-care?
  7. Is she talking to other people well? Or has social interaction reduced?

Kindly read the questions I have asked and reply.

for more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thanks for replying. She is 46 years old. She is in constant stress. I am observing this behavior from more than a year now. Her sleep is very disturbed. She wakes up even if there is a small noise. She is poor at self-care. She is hyper even while talking to others.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

#

• From your description, she could have a psychiatric condition called hypomania. To diagnose it, she will require a detailed assessment.
  • Medications can help, but before that, a CT scan of the head is required, to see if there are no other issues, since she already has risk factors like hypertension.
  • For the time being a small dose of Olanzapine 5 mg at night would help.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Please go through my dad's CT and tell me how long we can wait for surgery.

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion on my father's CT scan (brain). He has been suffering from mild to severe headaches for about two weeks and is now diagnosed with a clot in his head that is causing a midline shift. I am uploading two sets of CT scan images, the first one on 26th wher...  Read Full »

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, a...  Read Full »