Q. What could be the reason for having a pale spot on my upper lip?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Why do I have a pale spot on my upper lip?

Do you have a question on Hypopigmentation or Depigmentation Cream?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shanza Ikram

F.C.P.S., M.B;B.S., F.C.P.S
Dermatology

In my opinion, there are two main causes for this pale spot.

1. Post-inflammatory depigmentation. It means that it is normal skin response to any trauma like a previous burn or vesicle or itching to heal either with hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation. In your case, it is hypopigmentation. This does not require any treatment. It could be permanent.

2. Vitiligo. It could be spontaneous or autoimmune. Please apply Hydrocortisone cream two times a day for seven days.

Is it fine to apply Hydrocortisone creme even though I work in the sun 10 hours a day?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

F.C.P.S., M.B;B.S., F.C.P.S
Dermatology

Yes, it is fine to apply Hydrocortisone cream on the affected area even if you work in the sun. If you work in the sun then please regularly use sunblock 20 minutes before going outdoor and apply two to three times a day as sunblock get wasted and washed away with sweating. Apply Hydrocortisone in the morning and the evening. After 15 to 20 minutes of the application, then apply sunscreen.

Also Read Answers From: Hypopigmentation Depigmentation Cream

What is the skin patch on my lip that gets white and dries out?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had this patch of skin above my top lip for the past couple of weeks. It has not worsened or disappeared. It is white and dries out. I have been putting on ointments but nothing seems to improve it. It does not have bumps.  Read Full >>
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like Pityriasis Alba which is patchy post inflammatory hypopigmentation, usually on the face, in those who have dry skin or are atopic. I suggest you use Tacrolimus 0.03 % ointment, twice daily. Rub it in. Do you use a moisturizer on your face? How do you wa...  Read Full

What are these freckle-like spots on my nose and cheeks?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old female. On my nose and some parts of the cheeks, there are freckle-kind of spots which I thought was alright to have. But, now I noticed that it is increasing from the last few years. What are these? Are these pigmentations or freckles? Can it be removed totally? Wha...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly send me an image of your condition. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Got skin whitening as a side effect of Gleevec. Will this go away?
Query: Hi doctor, I have CML-CP. I am on Gleevec for the last one year. My query is about the skin whitening as it has turned too white. Will this side effect go away?  Read Full >>
Dr. Prasad Eswaran
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Skin whitening is technically called hypopigmentation. This is the usual side effect of Gleevec (Imatinib) and usually harmless. Usually, it is reversible once the drug is stopped. However, evidences for stopping the drug are limited and no consensus exists on drug cessat...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now