Hypopigmentation

What are the white spots on my back, arms, and face?

Query: Hi doctor, I have white little spots on my back, arms, face. They are lighter than my skin color. Also, a few white spots on my back and chest that are bigger in size, bumpy but empty inside and look like white bubbles. What those spots might be?  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If possible, send images for better diagnosis and treatment.  Read Full »

Why do I have a pale spot on my upper lip?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do I have a pale spot on my upper lip?  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, there are two main causes for this pale spot. 1. Post-inflammatory depigmentation. It means that it is normal skin response to any trauma like a previous burn or vesicle or itching to heal either with hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation. In your cas...  Read Full »

In the attached file the person has white forelock and dark blue eyes. Could this be Waardenburg syndrome 2?

Query: Hello doctor, In the attached image, there can be seen as a reflection of light or white forelock. He looks to me to be between 18 and 21. His eyes are bright blue, and it cannot be seen in the picture. I am wondering if he can be diagnosed with Waardenburg syndrome 2.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is difficult to differentiate between syndrome 1 and 2. But with the forelock of hair, he may have Waardenburg. But we must see if there is any hearing loss or defect in arms and other limbs. Can you provide more details? Any history of hearing loss? Congenital he...  Read Full »

What should I use to speed up the healing of a burned scar?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a cold sore arising on the border of my top lip and tried to stop it with alcohol and tea tree oil. The sore did not form, but I was left with a burn from the oil, and I pulled off the burned skin, leaving a small circular open wound. After healing, it started pink, but now it is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. First, you need to understand that it is normal skin response to heal with either hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation (white color as in your case) whenever it gets trauma (burn or insect bite). Most of the time, lesion heals within f...  Read Full »

My baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4 week old baby has a white spot on his back. Is it vitiligo?  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and concern. With your descriptions it seems your child may have pityriasis alba (fine, dry and pale patches). Pityriasis alba is a treatable disease and more common in childhood or it may be pre vitiligo. Please get reviewed with picture for bette...  Read Full »

How can hypopigmentation be treated in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6-week-old daughter has got white hypopigmented areas on bilateral groins and both inner thighs more in the left groin. Also, they seem to be appearing near the umbilicus and upper chest. We are very worried about it and want to know if there is any treatment available for it. Your ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She seems to have trichrome vitiligo which is an indication of active disease. I would like to know the duration. Were they present at birth? Is it spreading? Did you...  Read Full »

Can I use Nexret gel for anti-aging?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old female with borderline oily skin living in a very humid city. Only gel-based products work for my skin. I was wondering if I could start using Nexret gel, as a night treatment for anti-aging and general maintenance on a long-term basis. I have a few sun spots and pimpl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and concern. Please attach a picture if possible, for better evaluation. I suggest using Nexret gel (Tretinoin) 0.04 % daily at night, but not on a long-term basis because it can cause hypopigmentation. You can use it for 1 to 2 months, and then yo...  Read Full »

Got skin whitening as a side effect of Gleevec. Will this go away?

Query: Hi doctor, I have CML-CP. I am on Gleevec for the last one year. My query is about the skin whitening as it has turned too white. Will this side effect go away?  Read Full »

Dr. Prasad Eswaran

Hematologist, Medical Oncologist, Pain Medicine Physician, Radiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Skin whitening is technically called hypopigmentation. This is the usual side effect of Gleevec (Imatinib) and usually harmless. Usually, it is reversible once the drug is stopped. However, evidences for stopping the drug are limited and no consensus exists on drug cessat...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.